MCDST for MCSA but not MCSE??

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Venice, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Venice

Venice Bit Poster

Hi Guys

I'm planning to take the MCDST next month and one of the main reasons is because it's an elective for the MCSA :) but I was looking at the requirements for an MCSE and as far as I can see the MCDST doesn't count towards it(!)

Am I reading this right? :eek: seems odd to me and means to upgrade from an MCDST-MCSA to an MSCE you need to take 1 more exam than other MSCA holders??

Thanks for your help - great site btw! the self-study FAQ by zimbo is worth its weight in gold! :biggrin

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003
    WIP: tbc
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF!:biggrin

glad you found the guide useful!:D

yeah you looking right.. mcdst is only an elective for mcsa and not mcse - i think the reason being microsoft wouldnt expect an mcse to be doing mcdst work (its actually in their ms press book) they work on different levels apparently - but in alot of real world cases the mcse sometimes and very often does do mcdst work.

i took it as my elective and to be honest i dont mind doing one more exam should i one decide to upgrade...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

But am i right in thinking once you are an MCSA, regardless you can take the 3 exams to upgrade the MCSA to an MCSE...

My thinking is that you would have to sit those 3 exams regardless, so the MCDST not being an electrive isn't really a problem??

:rolleyes:

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

to upgrade from MCSA and you have MCDST as your elective you need to sit:

297/298
    and your elective - so if you dont do MCDST and choose an elective for both MCSA and MCSE you only do 3

5. Venice

Venice Bit Poster

Hi zimbo

Thanks for the clarification, I was hoping I was wrong though! :biggrin

So it seems if you attain an MCSA using MCDST as an elective you need to take an addition 4 exams to get to MCSE whereas MCSA people who've taken a joint elective only need to take 3 exams! :dry

That's pretty harsh for Microsoft to do that, an MCSA should be an MCSA whatever the elective and not hinder people from upgrading to an MCSE

oh well, something else for people to consider when taking the MCDST I guess.... kinda makes me wonder if I should have just gone straight to studying for the 270 and skipping the MCDST now :(

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

No i think doing MCDST is very good before MCSA - regardless of the elective situation. The whole of MCDST prepares you for 270 and future MS exams... because it will give you a good understanding of Windows XP before you move onto more complex issues in 270 and will show you how MS do their style of exams and how to prepare for them.

7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Here here!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. Venice

Venice Bit Poster

ok, I decided to stick with the MCDST as an elective for MSCA and yesterday passed 271 with a score of 916

I have no idea how I managed to pass with a good score though as the questions in the exam seemed really difficult compared to the ones that came with the MS Press Book

There were some weird security and server questions which didn't relate to my study material so I'm kind of annoyed at that little "trick" by Microsoft.... I hope that isn't something they do in every exam :dry

Anyway, I should stop complaining now as I did pass afterall! :biggrin

hopefully I'll pass the next part in a month or two, it'll be kinda cool to have an official Microsoft title to put on my CV :)

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done on the pass :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

congrats on the pass :) !

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  11. Venice

Venice Bit Poster

ok, I just got back from doing the 272 and passed thankfully.... though slightly disappointed with the score, only got 836

I rushed my study for this exam and only used one resource - the MS Press Book. What I'm really annoyed at myself about though is that I STUPIDLY didn't go back and spend more time on Wireless and Exchange even though I *knew* I was weak in those areas and had a feeling Microsoft would spring those questions on me! :rolleyes:

Anyway, a pass is a pass I guess.... so I'm finally a fully qualified MCDST and also one quarter of the way to getting my MCSA :clap

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the pass mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You set yourself high standards! If I got 836 for the rest of the MCPs towards MCSE Id be happy! :biggrin

Congrats on the pass! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

Well done on passing 271 & 272!

I headed straight for the 270 and am now thinking of doing the 271 and 272 while it's still fresh to get the MCDST.

Is it worth it? Or should I just carry on to 70-290

(By the way the company will pay so exam fee's aren't a factor)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

do the MCDST!

1. Its an elective for MCSA
    2. Its another cert - much easier than 270's exam
    3. Vista's new certs will have one exam upgrades for existing MCDSTS!