MCDST for Job Prospects

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Luddym, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

As most of you know I've been here for a little while, aiming for my MCSA. I currently have my A+ and N+ (which i can use as an elective towards the MCSA, I have the 70-270 and the 70-290. Basically, I only need the 70-291 to get my MSCA.

I've been job hunting for almost 4 months, getting some interest, and two interviews, but no luck. I've been looking for helpdesk, Desktop support roles and the odd junior Network position (which is my preferred role).

My question is, in your opinions, would getting the MCDST help me gain employment, instead of just going for the MCSA next, as I suppose the entry level jobs are predominately more user and call based as opposed to network and server based.

It's just that 180 quid is a lot to fork out on exams that might not increase my chances of getting a job. I know that the more certs you have the better.... anyway, any ideas guys and gals?

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Lud i think its not worth it in YOUR case. You right its 180 quid for 2 exams... you will get your MCSA using the comptia certs then you can look maybe towards MCSE or even CCNA since you looking at Junior network roles.

JMO 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I agree with Zim here, although I highly rate the MCDST, I think that in this case you are better off going for something else. Unless ofcourse you feel that it will help you personally to have that piece of paper.

4. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

I agree with these guys. If you didn't have any MCPs then it might be worth it, but as you're only one away from being an MCSA then put your efforts into that instead.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

not sure you aware.. but the MCDST can be used as an elective for the MCSA...

6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Cheers Guys. Looks like I better bite the bullet and get back to the 291 (Dreading that one. :D )

7. MonkeyWrench

Yes I'm aware...

Not sure why you're telling me though :)

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

guess what you not alone... starting DHCP tommorrow! DNS stuff isnt bad at all just that subnets and supernetting is a headache! :(

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

because i thought you might not know? :blink

10. MonkeyWrench

Ahh ok, I just thought it was in relation to what I said to Luddym as you quoted me :)

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ok im confused so lets leave it at that shell we? :biggrin

12. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

A couple of weeks ago I spent a few days on DHCP servers and scopes and The whole subnetting, supernetting thing. That all seemed ok... it's just remembering the settings and functions and where to find them for the DHCP. A few weeks of labs are in order methinks. :)

Haven't touched on DNS yet.

The way I tend to study is... haphazardly for a few weeks/months I study for the exam, then when I think IO know most of the subject I will book the exam, giving myself two weeks to get some serious study in. Those two weeks are spent sleeping and studying, maybe grabbing a few minutes for food... and if im very lucky, a wash. :)

13. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Luddym, It's a difficult call mate, it's certainly not going to do any harm in gaining your MCDST but then again it won't have the same impact as having a MCSA or MCSE. Personaly I enjoyed do the MCDST and think it helped my knowledge and along the way I gained a cert.

As the 2nd exam is heavily based on Exchange I do think it's relavant to networking.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  14. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Don't you mean if your friends & family are lucky? :D

Personally I'd go for the MSCA but then I guess it depends on how long you think it'll take to pass 70-291, if it's going to be a while then the DST might be worth it.
    Of course 70-291 is a pretty useful cert to have...

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  15. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

As you're only 1 exam off the MCSA I wouldn't bother. I only did MCDST because my work paid for the exams and it didn't take much study onto of all the work I put in for 270 (in other words I found it was 2 easy exams at no cost!). You could do MCDST after, especially if you can get a job where they would pay for you to do it. I found a number of things on 272 (Office, Outlook) to be useful.

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT