MCDST Exam Tomorrow

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by SarlechS, Jan 15, 2009.

1. SarlechS

SarlechS Bit Poster

how many questions should i be expecting? on microsoft press CD it gives me 45 questions to do in 90mins, equating to 2mins per question, is this what i should be expecting in the proper exam?

prometric say exam duration is 2hr 45mins, so should i be expecting roughly 90questions?

pass mark? what is it 80%? could you give me an educated guess on this as i know MS keep this kind of a secret.

any other tips?

Certifications: BA(Hons) Business Information Technology
    WIP: MCDST
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

The exam is fo 2hr 45 mins, the most questions I have had only any exam was 64 on the 70-620 and the least was 30 on the 70-290.

I would hazard a guess you will get somewhere in between 30 and 60 questions.

The pass mark is 700, whether this equates to 70% or not, no one really knows.

Which exam are you doing the 70-271 or 70-272?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. SarlechS

SarlechS Bit Poster

i'm going for 70-271, i noticed on the MS Press that it says the answer is A

if you said C xxx
    if you said D xxx
    if you said B xxx

i think that A would give 20marks..C might give 10, D at maybe 5 and B at 1? thats how i see it working, i don't know if that is right.

also what happens after the exam? do you get to see if you passed/failed straight away? do you get anything as in print outs to see what Q's you got right / wrong?

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

You get to see if you pass or fail immediately on screen. You also recieve a print out showing the areas you where strong or weak in.

Therefore if you fail, you can use this as a guideline on how to improve. You do not know the specific answers you got right or wrong only the area.

In relation to your comments about weighted answers, again no one can confirm.

Good luck for tomorrow, let us know how you do.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. SarlechS

SarlechS Bit Poster

thanks mate, i hope i pass, i'm struggling in some parts of the MS readiness Review, but i've read this is actually harder than the 70-721 exam itself? i really want to go in there and get a feel for the exam itself, i feel i have a chance at passing but not like i have no chance of failing.

also did you find in your 70-271 exam that they concentrated on one or two core areas? or did you find it was 5 questions from each chapter?

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Sorry, I really cannot remember it's been a while and I have done alot of exams since.

Did you book the exam using MS Second Shot Voucher as you will get a free re-try if you do not succeed first time round.

7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Best of luck on the exam.

8. SarlechS

SarlechS Bit Poster

no i didn't do that, i wasn't aware of it. i got the 15% off exam voucher in the MS press book though. i still haven't used that yet.

Thank you

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck, let us know how you get on :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. SarlechS

SarlechS Bit Poster

bad news guys, i failed with a score of 609 :( , i had 49 questions. is 609 a bad fail? is there a limit to how many times you can retake a MCP exam?

sectional results say i need development on Managing and Troubleshooting Access to Resources.

i'll try it again in 1-2 weeks time, i'm well gutted to be honest.

i tried to get my second shot voucher put on in the morning but prometric said it was too late.

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

bad luck

I am not sure about Microsoft but with compTIA exams if you fail 3 times in a row then you have to wait for a certain amount of time before you can take the exam a fourth time.

It may be the same Microsoft.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. SarlechS

SarlechS Bit Poster

Q. What is the exam-retake policy?
    A. If you do not pass an exam the first time you take it, you may retake it at any time. If you do not achieve a passing score the second time, you must wait at least 14 days to retake the exam a third time. A 14-day waiting period will be imposed for all subsequent exam retakes. If you have passed an exam, you cannot take it again. Beta exams may be taken only once.

so really you wouldn't notice it, as most people who fail an exam would spend atleast another 2 weeks preparing for it again? i would anyway.

13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Dang, not a million miles away from passing as you need 700. So 91 shy.

Hopefully, you will now have got an idea how MS word the exams. This is the hardest part in my opinion.

Put in a few more hours and then try again, perhaps rebook with a 2nd Shot Voucher for next week?

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As others have said, you're not that far off... just study the areas where the score report shows you are weak, and give it another go.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. SarlechS

SarlechS Bit Poster

i will definately need to put some more learning time in, i didn't prepare properly for it this time if i'm honest. I agree with you with regards to how MS right the questions, i also hate the way the answers are literally the same they are that similar :lol: i'll give it another go in around 10-14 days, i'm going to use the 15% voucher on this one and save the second shot voucher for 70-272, hopefully i will be MCP Certified in a few weeks time :deal (should of been today:dry)

edit: if i use the second shot voucher for the retake in 70-271 and pass what will happen then? will the voucher be counted as used?
    thanks for the advice mate, i will definately start reading up on my weak areas.

16. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Have you tried using the transcender for the 70-271 and 70-272?

I found them a real help and are very close to the type of questions you find on the exams

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'll be sure to tell BosonJosh that you found them useful. Those were two of his projects. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

No problem lol

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing