MCDST Certificates

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Richard Shannon, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Richard Shannon

Richard Shannon Bit Poster

Ive recently passed my 70-270 exam and thought i'd get the MCDST with near enough most of the info covered in the 70-270 exam, so i took my 70-271 exam on monday and i got 899 out of 1000 but am a bit unsure of the certificates, badges etc

i got a certificate and badge for my 70-270 but from what i can see you dont get one for the 70-271 you get one when you sit the 70-272 completing the MCDST pair or have i got that wrong? i'd like to get one for each exam i take really but if anyone could shed any light that would be great

ive got my 70-272 in the next couple of weeks then its 70-290 but kinda feel if i was to not do the 70-272 what record would i have certificate wise of passing! :D

Certifications: A+ MCP MCDST MCSA MCSA:MESSAGING
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You have it right. You will get a welcome pack with each cert you pass. You had the MCP when you passed the 270. The 271 in of itself is an MCP, but you only ever pass the 'MCP' once.

When you pass the 272, you can then get the MCDST welcome pack.

Well you have a record of all MS exams passed on your MS Transcript which is available on the MCP member site. It would definitely be worth doing the 272 at this point. Oh just a word of caution, don't underestimate the 272 as you may find it more difficult than the 271. The 271 is dead easy if you have already done the 270, but the 272 covers quite a different set of topics. Unless you know Office & Outlook and the many options under the hood of IE well, then you could come unstuck. GL with it anyway. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Richard Shannon

Thanks for the confirmation and thanks for the heads up on the 272 thats much appreciated, i wouldnt dream of taking it lightly i can assure you ive done CBT nuggets tutorials a good few times, been doing test questions plus been replicating all the outlook express, IE, newsgroups etc to be fully prepared - its funny you should say that about the 272 for some reason i was more wary of the 271 questions than the 270 once in the exam, i think it was due to maybe thinking it was gonna be a breeze so was a good wake up call for the 272! hehe!

Thanks again
    Richard

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Heh well, I used to teach the MCDST at my local college and it was a common thing to underestimate the 272 after having done the 271. Sounds like you have prepared really well for it, I think you'll be fine.

See if you can beat my record though, I think I knocked off the 272 in about 50mins. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Modey has covered everything, the only thing I can add is that MS has stopped sending out the lapel pins.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Richard Shannon

just the last question, how many certificates do you get with the MCDST welcome pack? is it one for both exams + a badge or just one for both similar to the mcp?

cheers
    R

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You get one cert for every new credential you achieve, so with your MCDST because that is a new credential, you get one cert. You do not get a badge as I've stated already MS has stopped that. You do get a wallet card with the cert.

See here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Richard Shannon

thats great, cheers

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...except for those with the highest approval ratings: free TechNet Direct. :rolleyes:

It was a shame when they discontinued that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!