MCDST Cert Path Alternative

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by techmonkey, Jan 9, 2012.

1. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Greetings!

I just had a quick question about my cert path. Currently I have A+, Net+, and Security+, all of which are Comptia obviously. However, I now am going to move on to some a Microsoft Cert. I attend a tech school that provides me with the materials and instruction I need to pass these exams the first time and retain the knowledge for the work force. I recently finished security+, and my school tells me the next step for the course I am enrolled in is a Microsoft cert based upon configuring windows vista. Now, the course I'm enrolled in is for desktop support and I am aware that the MCDST was recently retired and the exams are no longer available. Plus, it is my understanding that MCDST never applied to Vista in the first place. So, my question is... which cert am I going for? The courses I took for my comptia certs were titled A+, Network+, and Security+ so it was pretty easy to figure out which cert exam those courses were leading me towards. However, this current one is just called "configuring windows vista". So is it MCTS? or MCITP? Thanks in advance for any clarification anybody can give me. Because I was under the impression that I was going for my MCDST, but now I'm positive that is not the case. Thank you!

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+
    WIP: MCTS: Windows 7
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MCDST was retired a while ago, since you have mentioned Vista, there are two tracks:

1. MCITP: Consumer Support Technician on Windows Vista (including the MCTS for Vista), which conprises of the following exams: 620 & 623 (you gain the MCTS if you pass the 620 and the MCITP if you pass the 620 and the 623)

2. MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician on Windows Vista (including the MCTS for Vista), which conprises of the following exams: 620 & 622 (you gain the MCTS if you pass the 620 and the MCITP if you pass the 620 and the 622)

For which one you're actually going for, I would speak to your training provider.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The 620 is MCTS: Configuring Windows Vista Client. Judging by the clarity of the other course names I think this might be what they mean.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I contacted my school and it turned out I'm taking the 70-680, which is MCTS: Configuring Windows 7 from what I understand. Apparently the course I was in was overhauled a little bit while I was out of school for surgery. Thanks again!

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+
    WIP: MCTS: Windows 7