MCDST Book(s)

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Mr.Cheeks, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I went to Amazon and typed in 70-272 and it returned quite a few books...

which ones are recommended? i read here about MS Press Book :blink and get some wierd gardening books results! :eek:

sorry bout this, but cant see no direct links to amazon site...

Help?

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCDST-Self-...f=pd_ka_1/026-6461065-5413204?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCDST-Self-...f=pd_ka_2/026-6461065-5413204?ie=UTF8&s=books

i typed MCDST and they came up first... just dont try save a few bob and get the first edition from ebay or someting cause SP2 is heavy in the exam and these cover it...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's a nice feeling when you can move on in your studies and start with something fresh and new hey!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Usually recommend MSPress and Sybex for Microsoft exams. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Mr.Cheeks

chaps...

im gonna order one of books later tonight and get the ball rolling with the 70-271...

then i'lll do the 70-272... (i'll order that later)

anything i should know about like additional resources? perhaps? maybe?

btw: thanks for the link Z

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cheeks,

I agree with what has been said; MS Press and Sybex. Don't forget to use XP and Office as much as you can!

Good luck :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im using MSpress now and they are fine, thats all i used for the 271 exam

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Cheeks if i remember correctly a WORKGROUP is fine for this so just setup two PC's in one to do all the labs.. like boyce said play around with the packages.. the MS Press books are setup in a way to give you the theory then some practical work (do it all!). Print out the objectives and shout if you need any help! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Mr.Cheeks

thanks - placed an order for the1st book and hopefully i'll recieve it soon.

10. Mr.Cheeks

i ordered this book and its for 70-272, and was speaking to some guy at work. according to him, he said this book would be good for both exams, but i was saying if that was the case, then they would have only one book...

also, im assuming it doesn't matter that if i do the 272 first does it...

:oops:

11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi,

you do need 2 seperate books to do these exams as the exams cover different things (granted there is a bit of overlap here and there), things like EFS and NTFS permissions are covered in 271, and networking is also covered, 272 covers mostly about configuring and installing office and non office apps (so program compatibility is an overlap as that is covered a bit in 271 as well) and built in apps are covered too like IE and OE in 272.

I would recommend getting 2 books as like me you may have been working and fiddling with it for years but you wont have come across some features before. Also 271 does ask questions about default behaviour in a domain environment as well so be prepared for that.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Cheers for that Dales....

It wouldn't be a prob doing 272 first then 271? or does it have to be 271 then 272? :blink :rolleyes:

13. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

it wont make any difference really, same as doing mcse/mcsa. depends which way round your happiest with.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  14. Mr.Cheeks

I did want to do 271 first, as it seemed to be easier, but what the hell!...

Thanks