MCDST and getting ahead of myself

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Dexter, May 22, 2009.

1. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

HI guys

Ok, I'm currently studying for the MCDST and am probably (hopefully) about three weeks away from passing the 272. Anyway, after getting the recommended three (A+ N+ MCDST) the plan has always been to do a entry level linux cert (I've now settled on the LPIC-1) however I took a look at the requirements for a MCSA and saw that I'd only need to pass the 270 client exam to get half way there, leaving only server exams left to do. Seeing as there seems to be a fair bit of crossover between the MCDST and the 270 exam I'm tempted to carry on while the MCDST material is still fresh in my head and do half of the MCSA. Frankly there would be no question in me doing this if it weren't for my low level of experience, only 9 months professionally. Becasue of this I'm in two minds as to go ahead. I don't want to be overqualifieid on paper and possibly hurt my chances of getting another job but I'm still eager to seize the moment and forge ahead. It almost seems wasteful not to go on and do the 270! I did think about just not putting it on my CV until the time was right but it will show up of course on my MS transcript.

What do you guys think is the best plan of action? :blink

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I'm currently doing 270 and they are asking things in a greater depth. Another option would be to do the Vista conversion for your MCDST which would also count as your cliant exam for the MCSA and bring some of your certs into the new style ones.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012