MCDST and A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by Leehaa, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hello

I've just passed my 20/272 and got MCDST status.

Just wondering whether it would be good to have a go at A+ now.

I've been in IT for 3 years, but because I was in health before that, I don't have that much all-round knowledge of things - some things I am suprisingly knowledgeable in but others I'm not that great...

Any one think the A+ would be a good step, or should I just go straight to MCSA, as this is the next set of MCP's that interest me!!

(I am doing technical support - first / second line for a small company who are happy to train me whichever way I want to go!!)

Cheers

Leah

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The point about A+ is that it *isn't* Microsoft specific. If this is useful to you then it would be the next logical step.

If, on the other hand, you only deal with M$ products and that is what you are interested in, then other MCPs would seem to be the way forward.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

since u r already in a first/second line support and already have an mcdst, going for mcsa would be a nice move...but as Harry said, A+ is not just microsoft specific, covers hardware as well, so if u r interested in that as well and various OS of microsoft example 9X/ME, NT, 2000 etc...then consider A+

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

So is the A+ more of a basic all-round knowledge then?? To get your foot into first line?
    I just want to make sure i'm really thorough with everything before I jump ahead!!
    Already I know some pretty detailed stuff when it comes to server administration, yet I am severly lacking in hardware knowledge!!

I suppose that kinda answers my query - think i'll do the MCSA while i'm in the swing of learning Microsoft, then maybe just read through an A+ book rather than do the exam!!

Cheers

5. riaz.hasan

yeah A+ is more like a basic all round knowledge of everything and since u say that u need some hardware knowledge then A+ will definitely be very informative, even people who think they know a lot about computers r surprised of how much they dont when they do A+...its a good first step usually taken by everyone who wants to go into IT support...

6. riaz.hasan

i also found out that A+ along with Network+ can be also be used as an elective for getting your MCSA....MCDST can also be used as an elective though...

7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Sorry. Edited the above while you were answering!!

Think i'll read a good A+ book to see how good my knowledge is and then decide. Meanwhile do MCSA!!

8. riaz.hasan

a good A+ book:
    link

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Think passport may be better on this occasion as Leehaa is just wanting to see what it may be like, plus it should fit in her handbag aswell...

you can try cramsessions?

10. riaz.hasan

yeah i agree with u thecheekmaster...
    passport book link

11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

...and here is a free study guide for A+ Thanks to Cramsession... just to give use an idea, as to what its like, plus have you checked the A+ objectives?

12. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Cheeeeeeky!!
    Book looks good. I like the 70-270 passport book which i'm reading at the mo so will give this one a try next.
    Thanks.

13. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thanx :thumbleft