1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCDST, A+ & Network +

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Jazzman, May 15, 2009.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman New Member

Hi all

Just passed my Network + today :), so have now added it to my A+. Now looking at studying MCDST, my query is this: How helpfull is it to have A+ and N+ under my belt when starting out on the MCDST? can I reasonably expect a shorter and easier study time? Is there any overlap between what I've done so far and what I can expect on the MCDST?

Many thanks (and regards to all on the MCDST forum!!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia N+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Yes & no. The A+ & Network+ compliment the MCDST as they focus on different techologies/objectives, however they do help as the A+ & Network+ give the underlining knowledge that the MCDST expects you to have.

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. greenbrucelee

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Both A and N+ will help you in regards to understanding some of the topics in the MCDST they will help you understand how something is working at both a hardware and software level and ofcourse how xp is working over a network this is why the general advice is to get the A+ and N+ before the MCDST

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Jazzman

Jazzman New Member

Thanks for that guys,
    Just one more query: how would you rate the difficulty and time taken to achieve MCDST in comparison to A+/N+?

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia N+
    WIP: MCDST
  5. greenbrucelee

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think I am right in saying this (Ken knows more than me) but officially they are the same level, but it's a step in my opinion but not a great deal.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. wagnerk

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

I agree with GBL, officially they are the same level (level 2). However as the MCDST is more focus on specific technology, it can delve deeper that what the A+/network+ does (as Comptia exams are vendor neutral, they cover a broader range of technology within going too deep). Another thing that you will find is that unlike Comptia exams, the MCDST aren't straight forward questions and answers - so it's a touch harder that way too.

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip