Mcann's sued for neglect

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

A solicitor has attempted to launch a private prosecution against the parents of Madeleine McCann today on grounds of alleged child neglect.

Anthony Bennett faxed an application for a court summons to magistrates in Gerry and Kate McCann's home county of Leicestershire this morning.

The lawyer, who previously failed in an attempt to bring a private prosecution against entertainer Michael Barrymore over alleged drugs offences on the night of Stuart Lubbock's death, also sent Loughborough Magistrates' Court six pages of "evidence" to support the summons.

Full Story

Three words - About...Bloody...Time!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i mentioned this on another forum about 6 months ago and got flamed for it. they're the ones to blame no one else and it's about time they got what they deserved.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  3. Fergal1982

Oh dont get me wrong. Its horrible what happened, and a shame that, by now, its highly likely shes dead (In a way, thats me hoping too. the alternatives are frightening). But they were neglectful and should be sued. The government themselves should have done it long ago.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I couldn't agree more
    I obviously don't have kids, and those friends of mine who do have taken a slightly different stance, but I cant help but think something has been fishy with this since the very beginning, and had it been a single parent they would of not heard the end of it for the 'neglect' and 'thinking of themselves' attitude that led to this tragedy

someone needs to hold them accountable for their actions and stop rallying around them like they are totally blameless in all of this

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

I would not wish their situation on anyone but the fact is that they are to blame and it occured due to their neglect, there would be little or no sympathy towards them if they had come from a working class background, if this had occured in this country they surely would have been prosecuted by now.

Certifications: A+
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm not very familiar with this case. What is it that the McCann's did that was bad? I see lots of sensational charges, but very few facts in Googling the case.

The biggest thing I see being said against the McCann's is that they supposedly left the kids asleep in their hotel room and went to dinner. Is the entire basis of all the negatives I have read about?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

i dont thnk you can blame them for what has happened, they shouldnt have went on the piss and left her in the huouse but i doubt they would have done so if they thought their was any risk. the one to blame is the one who took the little girl. lots of parents leave their children at home whilst they nip to a neighbours etc, on hogmany lots of parents go next door for the new year dram and leave their children in bed.

no doubt the shouldnt have done it but hindsight is a bitch. concentrate on finding the girl and not looking for a scape goat.

we all take chances that run the 0.000005% risk of turning out bad (running through an amber light, going 5 mph over the speed limit) but were lucky it never happens.

just my 2 cents

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  8. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I have two young children who mean more to me than anything. Would I leave them alone in a hotel room, HELL NO. These two parent should face up to what they did...

9. Fergal1982

More or less Freddie. They left their kids (the oldest of which was, I believe, maddie, at three years old) in an UNLOCKED hotel room whilst they left the building and walked off to a tapas bar for food. They checked on them every hour or so.

Inevitably, its unfortunate that it happened. And yes those who took her were criminal (although there are whisperings that it was actually her parents, and they have been named as suspects), but its criminal of her parents to have left them in the room alone, unmonitored, in a foreign country.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The best thing would be if the truth would finally come out. Too much crap in the press.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. ffreeloader

I can remember being left alone at home by my parents quite a few different times when I was that age. The circumstances were different, but leaving a child alone for a few hours has been done by millions of parents. Everyone yowls that this is terrible, but I also hear many people yelling about parents or teachers spanking children for misbehaving too, and look at where that's gotten society.

Would I leave a sleeping child alone for a little while in a locked hotel room? Probably. By the looks of the hotel in which they were staying I'd probably feel pretty comfortable doing it too as they have fire alarms, a sprinkler system, security, etc....

I wouldn't even think twice about having a child stolen because I refuse to live in fear. I am not going to live my life thinking about any and every possible bad thing that could happen at any second. Am I going to deliberately put myself or my family in danger? No. But, I am not going live as if I think that the next second some idiot is going attack and maim me and steal my kids/grandkids either. That's simply no way to live life. If I did I'd end up being some kind of neurotic invalid afraid to walk outside my door, let my kids/grandkids go to school, play in the park, visit their friends, etc.... If you want to call that an attitude of neglect, so be it, but I will vigorously debate that point with you.

Parents have children stolen from their bedrooms while the parents were in the living room. The Lindbergh case from the early 1900's anyone? The little girl from Salt Lake City, Utah a few years ago? Eric Clapton's kid fell out of a window when both his parents were home. Hundreds of children have drowned in swimming pools while both their parents were home. What's the difference? The girl from Salt Lake City was sleeping in a room in a locked home, so was the Lindbergh baby. This McCann child could have been stolen without the parents knowing it even if they had been in the next room. It has happened before, and it will happen again. Who's to say that this wouldn't have been the case even if the McCann's hadn't gone to dinner? If you can prove this couldn't have happened if the McCann's hadn't gone to dinner, well, then I might listen to you. If you can't, well any criticism of the McCann's is out of line.

This hue and cry of "NEGLECT" is pure BS if ask me. The person at fault is the one who stole the child. That person is the monster, not the parents. Suing parents who had their child stolen is nothing more than piling on if ask me. Especially when there is no proof this couldn't have happened if they had been in the next room.

12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Thank you Freddy for that. It possibly because we are older that we find the 'neglect' accusations silly.

I was left from time to time - my parents have told me of a time when I was left in a pram on the front door-step, and was perfectly happy.

What has happened is that everybody has got paranoid, whipped up by the press, about threats to children.

Now you can't leave a kid for a microsecond without some officious busybody complaining.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. ffreeloader

I couldn't agree more, Harry.

Both of my parents worked before I started school. Even then they didn't have the money for a babysitter so my brother and I stayed home alone many times. Some times only for a couple of hours or so, but sometimes for a half a day. Being left alone was no big deal. Most parents did it from time to time, and some did it regularly.

I used to walk a mile or so through town to and from school by myself from the time I was in the 1st and 2nd grade. By the time I was in the 3rd and 4th grade I was riding my bicycle 3 or 4 miles to school. During my 5th and 6th grades I walked a couple of miles through town to reach school. My 7th and 8th grades I rode my bike 6 or 7 miles to and from school.

I didn't leave my stepkids alone very often, not because of fear of what some outsider might do them, but of what those two hot-tempered kids might do to each other if they got into a fight. Those two kids were a danger to each other. They would attempt, or at least threaten, to use knives, pots, pans, skillets, belt buckles, 2x4's, sticks, stones, etc... on each other when they would fight. We had to stay near them to protect them from themselves.

What they would have done to some stranger trying to do something to one of them would have almost made me fear for the stranger because while they would fight each other ferociously, they would have banded together to do worse to an outsider. They would have gone for blood, no doubt about it, and they were smart enough they would have worked together at it.

14. rwlk

rwlk Bit Poster

I am a parent of two. I can assure you that I made mistakes (not about leaving my kids alone) but because i was not born experienced parent and because there are not user manual as to how to raise kids. Parents do make mistakes. If you are a parent, and you have never done one mistake, throw a stone to MacCanns. If you are not a parent, talk about what you know first hand and leave the rest.

I know solicitors can be like sharks or predators. The solicitor suing MacCanns is not really concerned about Madeleine. It's another opportunity to make money or fame.

Certifications: B.Sc.
    WIP: CCNA, CWNA, Security+
  15. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Bottom line, they left 3 young children ALONE. I have 2 young children my youngest being of similar age to Madeline. Would i leave my girls alone at home? Absolutly no way. Maybe it was the done thing years ago as stated by our older members but in todays society why the hell would you take the risk?

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  16. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

To be honest, times are changing.

What might have been an acceptable thing to do 20 years ago is by no means acceptable now, but with the world how it is now, I see it as neglect to leave these children on their own while the parents go out. What we must remember is that these parents are not unintelligent people, so any decisions they make they must be held accountable for.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  17. Fergal1982

I agree. What was acceptable and ok 20 years ago is not the case these days.

And rwlk, I have to say im downright insulted by your insinuation that I cannot pass comment on their obviously neglectful behaviour, just because I dont have a child. Are you saying that you never pass comment on things you have never experienced? Never berated the government for a policy that in no way effects you, nor will it? What if im walking down the road and see a man belting the crap out of his kid? Kicking him in the ribs with steel toecaps? Should I just walk by saying, "well, I dont have kids, so I cant pass comment on his behaviour!"???? What a load of utter crap. You'd be the one sitting there berating the public for walking past and not doing anything.

18. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Here here Fergal!!!!

To me there is more then meets the eye when it comes to this mcanns case. I defo agree that they're covering *something* up...time will tell I suppose.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  19. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

its all just opinions at the end of the day, i for one hoe the solicitor suing then fails as publicly as he has before.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  20. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

That'll be a big endorsement for leaving your kids on their todd in a foreign country! Lets hope he doesn't fail!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...