MCAD info needed

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by greatchap, Sep 3, 2006.

1. greatchap

greatchap Bit Poster

Hello Guys,

In a post stated earlier i said i want to to MCTS but since its relatively new i may not be available here I have decided to do MCAD.

Now I have an accomplished VB 6 developer. I have 6 months experience in .NET.

I want to do VB.NET + ASP.NET & SQL Server which are the req of MCAD (Ado.NET maybe req as well).

So apart from microsoft books for mcad what resources should i consult to. Moreover how long will it take me to clear each paper.

Can anyone also tell me if i should do VB.NET with windows first or VB.NET for web applications as my first paper.

Thanks,
    JG

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You can do 305 (web development), 306 (windows development) and 229 (SQL server) to get an MCAD.

I recommend the MS Press books, but also www.asp.net and www.sqlcourse.com as online resources. There are loads more, and some great tutorials on the MS website.

I got on really well with the preplogic textbooks, but they are very 'hands on'.

Good luck!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. greatchap

greatchap Bit Poster

Thanks dude for info. As you mentioned I will do windows , web and sql server.

So which one should i do first, windows or web. Moreover considering that i can devote 24 - 30 hrs per week then how long will it take for me to do every paper.

JG

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It makes very little difference - I would say they overlap by about 70%. Start out with your best subject - Windows or Web, depending on your experience.

5. greatchap

greatchap Bit Poster

Hi,

Dude i checkout the microsoft site. It says

I need to pass Core Exams (Two Exams Required) and 1 Elective exam.

In elective exam i can give sql server 2000 and thats okay.

But in core exam i have to choose

1 . Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

OR

Developing and Implementing Windows-based Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

2. Developing XML Web Services and Server Components with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and the Microsoft .NET Framework

So if i do developing web applications and windows applications with vb.net and sql exam then i may not get MCAD becoz i also need to fulfill XML web services exam.

Any advice please ?

Thanks,
    JG

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh, yeah...
    The XML exam is core to the cert - I was forgetting that!
    You go into XML a bit in the development and SQL modules, so if it's not your cup of tea, leave it till last.

7. knowhow

knowhow Bit Poster

Do you want list of books to refer...?

8. knowhow

knowhow Bit Poster

First go in for vb.net 70-306
    then for asp.net 70-305
    then select the sql as your elective ...
    let me know if you want the books reference..
    It took me almost 1 hour 30 min to complete each exam....

9. greatchap

greatchap Bit Poster

Thanks a lot guys for your help and info. But I have changed my line now and my domain now is SAP - ABAP.:)