1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MBps vs Mbps

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sceritz, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Sceritz

Sceritz Bit Poster

I've always wondered and I guess some folks here could tell me... why use Mbps as opposed to MBps to define internet speeds? Besides isn't a bit like 1/8 the size of a byte? A tiny bit confused.

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Yup, if they say 108Mb/s, it's better marketing than saying 13.5MB/s, isn't it? It just sounds faster. Historically there was also ambiguity in the term byte - it doesn't always mean 8 bits.

The one I like about bytes is that 4 bits (half an octet) is called a nibble.

3. Sceritz

Sceritz Bit Poster

Heh I've always loved the "nibble" myself. Anyways the /8 isn't really an accurate conversion from bytes to bits then huh? It's just less I guess. Makes DSL's 6mbps sound really slow though in actuality it fits most peoples needs (I prefer cable but that's all they've got where I live). I've noticed the net being a little slower but nothing that I'll pull my hair out over. I don't lag much in games (most of the time) so I'm happy. :P

4. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Your forgetting a word = 16 bits :D