MBCS (Membership of the BCS) listed as desirable in Advert/Application pack

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by Kitkatninja, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Though that I'd post this job link (under Manager IT), not to advertise the job, but to bring to light that the BCS must be doing something right as this is the second job in the last 2 months that lists membership as a desirable feature of the candiate.

Now considering that in the last 5 years (not including the last 2 months) I haven't seen membership listed as a desirable feature before. It's good to see the BCS making it's mark :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

That's great to see. I shall certainly be making the most of it on my CV and in covering letters/emails.

The generic term "IT Manager" can cover a host of things from 100% hands on to management function only so I see the MBCS as helping to back up the overall picture.

Hope it starts to get mentioned more !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Still waiting for the BCS to do something serious for the games industry. :dry

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've been a member for four years now. It hasn't done a damn thing for me. Just another card taking up space in my wallet.

I don't see it as remotely beneficial to my career, tbh. I think if I ever had any desire to be a manager - rather than a 'real' nerd :twisted: then it might be useful to me, or if I was in an academic computing environment it might be helpful.

As it stands, when my membership expires next I won't be bothering to renew it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Surely tho' it's what you make of it ?

I've been involved with professional bodies when I was in financial services and the biggest problem to their evolving and adopting a "modern" approach is the apathy of their members.

If you get involved at a local level and encourage colleagues too as well, alongside the efforts they put in to give you a more "professional" status then surely that can only be an advantage ?

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Just as a matter of interest, what sort of thing would you envisage they do ?

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sorry to hear that zebulebu, but like you said "I don't see it as remotely beneficial to my career".

Information for other's who are considering. Membership is a two way thing, it depends on what you want out of the association & how much you want to support the association's goals and how much the association, in general, wants to support it's members & the benefits they offer.

If you aren't getting any benefits out of it, fair enough. If you do see yourself benefitting, great.

It's one of the many things that you have to consider when joining, staying and leaving an association :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Well, the games industry is closed to the public at large - also organisations specific to the games industry only appear to be known by those actually in the industry. Given that the BCS is an organisation that is supposed to span the representation of all uses of computer technology, it potentially holds an ideal position in spanning the gap between those not in games and those in. If the BCS took advantage of this position we might not be seen as this 'dark, mysterious force' behind games creation. Also, it might take a little bit of the heat off of us over the content that we make for games and why we make certain decision in making them. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.