Maximum size power point presentation?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Dubfire, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Evening, I wonder if anyone can help me out on this one.. I have someone who is trying to send a power point presentation which is 27MB but its not being sent. Is there is a maximum size that can be sent and if there is, is there any other way to send the file?? Would it may be that the recipients mailbox is too large? Just google'd this question but had no luck

Awaiting your response

:D

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I don't know what the maximum file size for a Powerpoint presentation is (or indeed if there even IS a maximum size). I do know, however, that if you're sending this via email, that file size is still ridiculously huge - even by today's standards. Most (though certainly not all) corporate mail gateways impose an absolute limit of either 10 or 20Mb. In addition, most internal mail scanners (i.e. policy scanners that sit on a company's internal mail servers) will be set to reject mail over a certain size. Finally, email services that are used outside the corporate network (i.e. from an ISP) usually have a limit of 10Mb on the size of an individual email.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Cheers Zeb. I took some of the info above and filled in the user with it. I ended up getting the user to copy the power point to a shared folder then took it of the server and then to my WS then put it on the destination server shared area - setting the permissions to allow only that user to view the folder for security reasons:biggrin.

4. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Its been a long nightshift...:(

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like an issue with the attachment limits on your mail server.

I *think* there is a limit on the size of a powerpoint presentation but you can reduce the size of it by linking to graphics etc. rather than embeding them in the .ppt file.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

but if you link, then the person recieving the ppt will access to the source aswell, otherwise, the linked image will not appear.

7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Glad you sorted it, there's always the option to zip the file and if that is still too big, in alot of zipping utils you can break a large zip file into bits:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I don't know if this is true for the newer versions of powerpoint but in the older versions it would store every alteration you made to the presentation meaning that you ended up with a huge file. The simple way round this was to resave the presentation as a new file, I normally tagged mine as final or something like that and this normally reduced the file size as well.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Sparky

Not sure what versions you can link files but I have done it in Powerpoint 2007.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. Sparky

Yeah, thats true.

I had to link a music file in a presentation so I ended up linking it to C:\Presentation

I emailed the user and asked them to create a folder in their C:\ drive called 'presentation' and put the .ppt and .mp3 file in there. Slighly messy solution but it worked.