Material for 2009 changes?

Discussion in 'A+' started by danpluso, Sep 6, 2009.

1. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

Hello so I am wondering if there is any good material to bridge the gap from the 2006-2009 test.

I have Mike Myers 2006 All in One 6th edition which I will be starting soon but was wondering about any other info I will need. I read that the new 2009 test has more questions on networking so maybe someone could recommend a good network book for beginners. I will most likely be taking the Comptia Network+ exams in the future too.

I checked Amazon and they have these:
    - PC Technician Street Smarts, Updated for the 2009 Exam: by James Pyles
    - Comptia A+ 2009 in Depth: by Jean Andrews
    - Comptia A+ 2009 Question & Answers: by Chimborazo

Q&A book is only $15 so i will probably get that anyways.. James Pyles' vs Jean Andrews' book?? Or should I wait for newer books such as Mike Myers A+ 2009 books? Is he working on one ATM?

Would any of those be a good thing to read after I am done with the Mike Myers All in One?

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

All-in-One 7th will be out soon.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

Okay good to know... I will just wait for that then... Too bad I already have the 6th edition which I haven't even started reading yet.

4. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Here is a link to Mike Meyers Netwwork+ 2009 course material.

-Obie

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

There's nothing to stop you starting now. Have a read through the book and understand the concepts. I doubt much has changed in the world of video, audio and printing for example. That should put you ahead of the game for when the 7th edition comes out.
    You could probably pass the 60x exams in the time available as well. Although I believe they've changed the retiral date of the 60x exams you still have nearly 5 months to pass it.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

And pick up the Street Smarts, its well worth a look and the concepts you'll learn will be useful wherever you may go.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. xrchris

xrchris Bit Poster

I had been wondering the exact same thing.
    I dont want to spend any money on a book if its going to be superseded in the next couple of months.

Does anyone have any info as to when the 7th edition will be available?

Certifications: HNC Computing (Software Development)
  8. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

Well I already have Mike Meyers Passport book which I have read twice already. First time was while I was at work, then I read it again while taking notes at home. I got it for more of a casual studying tool.

What I want now is the 7th edition All-In-One so I can get down and serious. Study every day for a set amount of time with no distractions and taking lots of notes.

Is it really worth getting Street Smarts too if I have already read through Mike Meyer's Passport book? I can't see it having information that the All-In-One wouldn't have.... or does it?

9. BosonMichael

Totally different books. Street Smarts contains hands-on lab ideas.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. lufc

lufc Bit Poster

Does anyone know if it will be a few weeks , or are we talking few months when the Mike Meyers 7th edition All-In-One is coming out?

11. BosonMichael

Amazon says February 1, 2010. But if you want to ask The Man himself, you can find him on his forums.

12. xrchris

xrchris Bit Poster

Yeah I just found it in Amazon's UK store and it states 1st March 2010.

I have decided to study the MCDST instead for now.

Certifications: HNC Computing (Software Development)
  13. lufc

lufc Bit Poster

Will there also be a new 2009 I.T technician exam, as currently on Prometric, you can only choose the essentials and Pratical Applicaition as a 2009 edition exam.

14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I believe there are only the two exams, unlike the 60x series where you had to choose one of three after the Essentials.

15. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

I guess that is nice in a way.. I didn't really want to have to choice 1 out of the 3 exams to take anyways.

16. lufc

lufc Bit Poster

Do you mean you only have to do the Essentials and Practical Application exam, or did you mean the Essentials exam and I.T technician exam?

17. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Ah. this is a bit of a minefield. Both versions have an essentials part. It'll be clearer if I use numbers:

The old (but still current) way is to take the 601 (Essentials) and one of the 602 (IT Tech), 603 (Remote support tech) or 604 (Depot tech).
    The new way is much simpler, 701 (Essentials) followed by 702 (Practical application?).

So for the 2009 objectives there is no IT Tech exam. In this changeover period you'd be best to keep an eye on the numbers, especially when booking the exam. You can't mix and match the numbers (i.e. 601+702=no cert and 701+602/3/4=no cert)

18. lufc

lufc Bit Poster

Ahh ok I understand now , thanks for clearing that up!!

Sorry for all the questions , but trying to get my head around this. I've read that the practical application exam is more "hands-on" but then I read the exam will consist of multiple choice questions, so in the exam do you actually have to do anything hands on , e.g. removing or adding ram? or is it simply just a paper based exam?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  19. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

dunno about the hands on stuff. I doubt it cos the fees would go up sky-high.
    701 is probably mostly about regurgitating facts, the 702 will expect you to apply these facts in a troubleshooting way, installing stuff etc.

20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you have the AIO 6th edition and the passport book why not go for the current 600 series exams they are still going to be around for a while and it doesn't matter if you have the 600 series or 700 series on your cv as the unlike some MS exams the A+ cert never has to be retaken.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?