Masters in Data Networks adn Security or Certifications?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by hazmaq, Aug 4, 2011.

1. hazmaq

hazmaq New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if someone here could give me some advice.

I am thinking of doing a Masters in Data Networks and Security from Birmingham City University which will cover topics such as Network Security, Design of Scalable Networking Systems, Advanced Firewall Systems and Management and Optimisation of Networking Systems.

I have worked in IT support (1st\2nd line) for the last few years and want to move into Cisco Networking., I however have no experience working with Routers and switches, its mainly been Microsoft products!

Is it worth pursuing the Masters or am I better off down the Certification route to break into the networking industry.

Thanks

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I can see a couple of potential issues with going down the Msc route, first of all without having much experience in the field you may well find the subject matter quite difficult (it's a Masters degree after all), added to that what is it that you want out of it after actually finishing the degree? because you mention you want to get into Cisco networking but going down this route won't really take you down that route, it will be more towards Group Security rather than networking.

If you want to actually get into Cisco networking then you need a role that allows you access to the hardware, gain some experience whilst working alongside some network engineers and progress that way.

Unfortunately just because you have some 1st\2nd line Windows experience doesn't mean you're going to walk into a networking role straight away, also I would have to recommend not getting the CCNA straight away as that's a cert aimed at experienced networking engineers, you may well be better off getting yourself the Comptia N+ first and working up from there.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA