Mapping network Shares

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Nelix, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hi all,

I currently want to assign my daughter a personal folder on the server so that when she logs on, no matter which computer she is using, she still has access to installed programs, I have created a folder called 'user shares' and gone into AD users and computers, selected each family members user account in turn and gone into there profile, in the 'Home Folder' section i have select 'T:' to \\homesrv\user shares\%username%, This works fine, the question I have is, Do i now have to map this folder on her login, or/and do i have to give her a roaming profile.

If i have to map this folder the next problem is that i cant see any other machines on the network when i browse for a folder to map, no matter which machine i try doing it do. I can ping all the other machines using there IP address but not by Hostname, I imagine this is due to DNS issue's.

Hope you can help

Thanks in advance :microwave

P.S. I Love the new Emoticons, Keep them coming

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What OS are you using on the clients, I thought that Win2K did the mapping for you if everything was OK. I cant think today had a few :morebeer lastnite and head up my bum. If your using Win98 then you'll need a script to get it to work but sure it should do it automatically in win2K.

Double check your path and that the folder exists for %username%

HTH in some small way :sickR

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Using Win 2K server on the server and win 2K Pro on clients

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Then i'm sure if the Paths correct then it should map when you login and no need to do it manually. I'm not at work today and my other PC has Linux on at the mo so cant test out and see. If someone can just give me kick up the rear and confirm this!

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I think it may have something to do with the fact that i cant see any of the machines when I browse the network.

Running DNS Server on the Server machine and DNS client on the clients but still dont seem to be able to ping the clients by host name!!!!!!!!

6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

In relation to the requirements you specified, you would like your daughter to log on and have access to installed programs no matter what machine she's on.

Here's what I think:

Create a roaming profile for your daughter.

Share the programs in AD with and allow your daughters account access to it.

When your daughter is at her local machine, she can create a shortcut to the program.

When your daughter logs onto a different machine, her roaming profile configuration will be displayed, as in shortcuts etc.

If she double-clicks the shortcut on a machine that isn't her local machine, then by default, the shortcut will be resolved by the absolute path and therefore she should get the program that she has permissions to in her roaming profile.

Hope this helps for now.I'll write back again but I want to make sure you know what I'm going on about first, I'm terrible with explaining things, sorry.

7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Dont really know alot about AD only studying 210 and not that far into it yet, but i get what you mean.

In the meantime anyone know why i cant see the other machines on my network, I can ping them by IP but not by host name, dns is running.

8. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

How do i make her profile a roaming profile.......having abit of a blonde moment here

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Create a share on the server and name it, eg, Roaming.

Set share-level permissions to Change of Full Control to allow all users storing profiles there to alter their profiles.

In AD Users and comps, go to your daughters user account, open properties, and got o Profile tab, where you'll have to specify the profile path in the box.
    Eg/ \\server_name\share name\user name

That's it for now.

Do that and then go to the users local machine and make sure the programs she wants to access have a shortcut on the desktop.

Logout and then go to another machine and login as your daughter and you should see the desktop shortcut programs.

Click them and hopefully it will work.

Let me know how you get on and ask away if your not sure on something, I'm more then happy to help.

PS: I'm not sure if the programs need to be shared, but try this for now.