Mapping network drive, disconnecting.

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Dazzo, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

After a recent server upgrade our shared location moved from B to A. I remapped all the computers network drives however a number of them are reconnecting the old drive. I slightly remember a cmd for it about making the old one stop connecting at start up and the new one to do so. I already checked the connect at startup box but ti still happens.

Is there a command for it or am I off the mark?

Darren

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

"net use X: /delete" may work

another option may be to remap the old drive map, but this time take out the checkmark in the box, this may override the previous mapping where reconnect at logon was selected.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Thank you daniel, i will try both methods.

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Also make sure you don't have a login script set up, otherwise the old drive will continue to map.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. danielno8

yeh i made the assumption there were no login scripts as he mentioned he remapped all the computers network drives

6. Qs

You can still re-map network drives with or without a login script.

Better to cover all bases.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. danielno8

yeh that being the reason for the thread in first place lol?

8. Qs

The OP is manually mapping drives (hence the 'startup checkbox' comment above). He's not editing login scripts himself.

Therefore, if a login script is in place which the OP doesn't know about then this could be the sole cause of the problem.

Geddit?

Qs

9. danielno8

not really.....I know he is mapping manually....My first comment to you was merely stating I ASSUMED he wasn't using login scripts, wasn't trying to say you shouldn't have asked him to clarify whether there were login scripts in use.

Geddit?

10. Qs

Assuming the lack of script use isn't going to help rectify the problem. As stated previously, it's better to ask the question than assume incorrectly.

Qs

11. danielno8

lmao i know this hence my post to you sayin i made the mistake of assuming there were no login scripts

/the end

12. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

handbags down! :rolleyes:

i'm sure i posted on here, but yeah what has been pointed out multiple times:

- "net use X: /delete" may work
    - make sure there's no script which maps the drives via gpo
    - another option may be to remap the old drive map, but this time take out the checkmark in the box, this may override the previous mapping where reconnect at logon was selected.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  13. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

I've tried both suggestions however none seem to work.

I've looked for the scripts also but cannot find any and spoke to previous person in my role who said he never made any logon scripts.

My thought after pondering the computers in question is maybe it's a batch file of some sort (probably made via the people who supply us with this program) so i logged the error with themselves. Or maybe it's a batch file made via some-one else so i'm looking into it and found one common batch file at the moment.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them and still looking into the problem myself as i have to remap pcs daily, easy to do but annoying doing it each morning.

Thank you for continuing to help me solve this problem.

14. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

After extensive searching over lunch i found the problem. Was a batch file on a select group of PC's that remapped the drive. Was stored in all users start up so it was happening to whomever logged onto the station and was stored on the old server. The old server is not in use anymore which is why it only seemed to happen to individuals and when deleted from the all users start up folder it works fine.

First time I've came accross the batch files used in this way.

Thanks again for helping steer me in the right direction, without the login script comment i would never have thought to look for a batch file..... funny how the mind works.

Regards

Darren

15. Qs

No problem, glad it's sorted. :)

Qs