Mandriva query.

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Boycie, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Guys,

After a bit good advice from ffreeloader I have decided to have a play with Mandriva (otherwise known as Mandrake).
    I am in the process of downloading the DVD image (iso) now.
    Can I just use Nero as normal to burn the image to DVD? Use the create bootable option? Is there any catches to this OS? If not it is amazing to have something which is supposed to be so stable, secure and free!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hey Boycie,

iv got Mandrake 9.2 on my 2nd Lappie, boots Linux/98/2K. Mandrakes good, setups easy like an Apple, takes some getting used to after Windows brainwashing!!lol...
    Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. Man am I going to have to learn how to express myself better.

The only catch I had with Mandrake was it was buggy. I never could get it to work right on my machine. However, that was a couple of years ago. It's also a very wizard-driven OS. That means lots of bloat. I really think you'd be better off with something like Ubuntu, but that's just my personal opinion. Lots of people like Mandrake/Mandriva. I'm just not one of them.

What I really meant by my post was that any one of the free versions of Linux gives you the ability to learn Linux. Most of them will do a much better job of teaching you Linux than the for-sale versions will because from what I know, and have read, about the for-sale versions such as Mandriva and Linspire they all try to copy Windows much more than the free versions do. It's how they attempt to attract Windows users. That means your experience in how to configure the machine and learn the guts of the OS is much different. You really aren't forced to learn how the system really works. You're left with a shallower understanding of how things work.

If that's what you're looking for, go for it. If, however you're looking to actually "learn" Linux then distros like Debian are very good tools because while there are a few wizards everything can be done through configuration files and that's the way most Debian users do things. I guess it all depends on what you want from the experience. Do you really want an education in Linux, or just to learn to do the same everyday things you do in Windows, just with different software. At least that's my take on things. Using Debian has taught me a lot. And, it has so many more software packages than Mandriva does it isn't even in the same ballpark.

You can do a 110 mB download from the Debian website to do what's called a "netinstall". You just burn the 1 netinstall cd and install the base system from it. Then you choose what you want on your system and download everything off the net. After that it's just "apt-get install software_package_name" to get any of the other packages you want to try. It's hands down the best package management I've seen and it has the greatest variety of software out there.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks for all the input Guys. :thumbleft
    ffreeloader- I would like to learn how OS work in greater detail but for now I want to try "the other side" to see what it is like not to worry about viruses, re-starts etc. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Hey, it's all good. Just wanted to make sure you had the information you needed to make the best choice for yourself.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you mean there are people using windows who still worry about virii and spyware?
    sucks to be you :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

lol Aaah, there's that ol' Phoenix compassion :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity