manager bullies at work

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by salv236, Oct 7, 2010.

1. salv236

salv236 Nibble Poster

Dear Forum members,

i dont know if anyone has ever experienced this during their work life, but now i am encountering this problem.
    Recently i have started to experience bullying from my line manager, the only thing i can do for now is gather evidence via emails sent by him, creating a journal gathering a paper trail, date/time stamps who was present and what was said by all parties concerned.

After all that i dont know if i should involve HR/company trade union or compace an employment lawyer.

How should i go about this?

Thanks for your advice

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSE XP/2K3
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Happily I've never experienced a problem like that but you shouldn't have to put up with that at work. HR are there basically to sort these types of issues and whilst I always would try to sort out issues between myself and another person by speaking to them directly if you feel you can't do that or they aren't the type of person to listen then go and see HR.

If he has sent you bullying emails then he isn't very clever doing so as it's down as evidence. I think you are doing the right thing in noting everything down and what I would do is to see HR off the record at first and ask their advice on the matter. If your a member of a union then take a representative along as well to see where you stand. Take copies of the emails and your notes along to show them and maybe they will have a quiet word with your manager to nip it in the bud before going down a more official route.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

It depends really mate.. If you don't mind sharing; in what way is it bullying?

edit: such as.. personal attacks, forcing you to do stuff with threats re your employment etc

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

As Michael says, if you can talk to the guy directly and resolve matters then thats the cleanest and simplest solution. If thats not a possibility or you've already tried then HR or your union (if your a memebr of one) are your best bet for some further advice on what to do next.

I'd leave the lawyers out of it to start with though, however take a representative with you to every meeting you have on the subject as a witness should you need to prove/disprove things later.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Thats a question you will need to answer, you need to be clear on exactly what the problem is, you don't want to end up with the situation being blamed on a misinterpretation if its making you feel genuinely uncomfortable.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I think you should start by giving of examples of what has been said.

As what you may define as bullying may not be.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I would say an off-the-record chat with your union rep/HR is the best course. Show them some of the emails and, if they agree that there is cause for concern, they can explain what options are open to you for progressing your complaint.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with what's already been said:

1. Have a word with him/her first of all.

It states on your profile that you're in Belgium (but not if you're from there or just working over there), it may be bantering gone to far, it may be a cultural thing (eg what is accepted in one country, may not be acceptance in another and vice versa).

2. Read your company's policy on bullying, and go down that route.

It may be dealt with by HR, however in some companies it may be dealt with by another department/person (eg his/her line manager).

3. If the above two doesn't work, then involve external people (eg trade union, employment lawyer, etc).

Again as you're in Belgium it may be handled differently over there than in the UK.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's pretty much all been said - but as Ken mentions, one of the first things to do is to bring it to his attention. It may not be easy, but he might not even realise he's doing it and the problem may be solved overnight.

Then just gather evidence and ask to meet your HR or union rep. Get in there sooner rather than later as these things are never good left to fester.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

can you provide further information of his bullying ways, both for curiosity and so we can advise further?

11. salv236

salv236 Nibble Poster

One trend i have noticed is an increase of my workload, they are already aware that i am currently overloaded.
    It has been mentioned to the management several times, its probably early days yet but i suspect they are trying to alienate me.

I keep my private life out of work as i know this can be used against me to their favour, as i mentioned early days to suspect anyone only time will tell.

12. Kitkatninja

Just wondering is that the only basis of you feeling bullied, an increased workload? If it is, it can be used as part of a competency management review of a person, but really all you have to do when they increase your workload is to tell them what is managable or not. If you say "yes, yes, yes..." and then don't deliver, then that becomes a performance issue - which the company can then act upon. However...

If it's like every other company out there that is struggle during this "post"-recession period, where it's a choice of taking on more work or losing contracts/being made redundant, I know which route I'd rather take. For example I work in education, however our secondary "role" is providing IT Support services to other organisations. For each additional staff member needed we have to take on approx another 5 organisations to support, which places an increased workload on the existing staff there. It's not bullying here, it's job security for some of the staff members.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

perhaps I'm being dense, but I dont see how giving you more work is bullying. If you are overloaded, it could be bad management, sure, but not bullying.

HR will almost certainly see it the same way, unless you can couple that with evidence of other forms of bullying.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. michael78

More workload will not be seen as bullying if everyone else is in the same boat as you. If your workload is a lot more than anyone elses then it might be seen as being unfair but I would start by making your line manager aware of this before involving HR. I would word your conversation very carefully and don't imply that he/she is picking on you but simply that you feel the workload is too much and take it from there before seeking other avenues like the ones I mentioned in my previous post and others have mentioned.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  15. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

That is well out of order, I hate it when you go to work and they give you work to do!!

Is your line manager a big bloke have you thought about attacking him after work? Violence is usally the best solution in these situations even if you speak with your HR they will proabably tell you to fight it out.

I blame Harry Hill.

Certifications: A few.
  16. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

If that's a form of bullying then i am bullied on a daily basis........... and then I'm called in on my rest days for more bullying hehe

On a more serious note, look for some compo and new job :p

17. michael78

Rob we don't know the circumstances mate it could very well be that the OP is being asked to do work that is within the boundaries of being fine but it could be the case of being discriminated against with an unrealistic workload because their face doesn't fit and their manager wants to make their life hell. It's not really helpful if the OP is being bullied with the above. Not trying to be an arse just saying we don't know the circumstances.

18. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

I don't think it's that different over here :) Belgium is only 20 km away from the UK :p

Anyway, curious about this one. If I can help (in Dutch), please PM!

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  19. salv236

salv236 Nibble Poster

Hi Simonvm,

Thanks for your generous offer of assistance. unfortunately i dont know any dutch, i can get by with most day to day french. Im an Anglophone that has been living & working in Brussels for nearly 6 years. I have been contemplating contracting or consulting but i dont know what kind of profile is required for that and im guessing that you need a driving license.

20. Kitkatninja

There are subtle differences within the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland), how much more outside the UK. Look at Germany and the Czech Rep, their borders are touching, but the culture is different. I'm not saying that moving between any two countries is impossible without adapting but neither am I saying the degree of difference is either large or small. Just that there are differences.

-Ken