Making my first website

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by beaumontdvd, Apr 26, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone, I've always wanted to make my own website, I have made one before using Dreamweaver but never actually uploaded it using the FTP as I was unsure how it works and how to host.

I am aware you can use hosting companies but I am looking for a free solution
    I am also aware that you need a domain name and I am also looking for a free solution if possible?
    Also a package that I can use as I am also interested in learning HTML as I know just the basics at the moment.

Hope someone can help it would be much appreciated.

Also an idea for the website is welcome as I still have not decided lol!

Thanks for all your advice!

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

With free, you get what you pay for.

If a few bucks a year is gonna break the bank, maybe you should reconsider.

So... you want to make a Web site... but you don't know what you want your Web site to be? :blink Usually, people get an idea first, THEN decide they want a site.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can run IIS on your laptop if you want to mess around making a website and all the “hello world” jazz.

After that look at hosting as needed, it won’t break the bank.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Dave, unfortunately there is going to be some cost with this, unless you really do plan on using something like your ISP to host a sub-domain off their hosting services.

I have done a couple of websites over the years but rather than learning HTML I have simply gone down the route of using a WYSIWYG program. I have used NetObjects Fusion and more recently Serif WebPlus x4, infact my current site was created with X4 and I think it's ok, Serif also have a little hosting that they offer with x4 (my forms redirect to my email courtesy of Serif).

All in all x4 wasn't too difficult to learn, I put the site together in a couple of weeks and the content has pretty much stayed as it was since then (I am not doing that sideline at the moment but I may well go out and push more business cards through doors again soon).

Tell you what tho, as a side project, have a look at designing something for ITCertified.PRO :D

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. beaumontdvd

Well its just for experience really I dont want anything to big

6. beaumontdvd

Yeah mate that sounds good, I just want to get to grips with it and work out how it all works and that.
    Thanks for the advice

7. beaumontdvd

Ok mate I understand now, I guess when I understand it a lot more I can start paying maybe a bit each month ect, I just thought that HTML would be a good place to start learning but I could never get the hang of any of the server side scripts or the php forms ect. Sounds like a good thing to learn and its interesting too. Thanks for the advice mate much appreciated :biggrin

8. BosonMichael

If it's for experience so you can be a Web designer, why not start out by making a Web site for your Web design company?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. beaumontdvd

That sounds good, to be honest its more experience so I know the fundementals and how everything works ect, but I have thought about learning how to produce websites thanks for the idea mate!

10. BosonMichael

I'll send you a PM to tell you where to send the 10% royalty checks. :twisted:

11. beaumontdvd

Haha ok mate no worries :cry: :)

12. Col

Col Byte Poster

It all depends what you want to do. There is free hosting out there but you'll get sucky bandwidth and banner ads all over your site. You can get cheap hosting these days that won't break the bank. I use Go-Daddy but there's heaps out there. But if you're just playing around at the moment, why not just set up a Wordpress account and go down that route?

Once you've got HTML under your belt - which shouldn't take too long, perhaps you should take a look at trying to master some PHP. Though I'd also agree that there are some decent WYSIWYG options out there. You can build a decent website with Joomla or Drupal these days.

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  13. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

If all you are wanting to do is test your coding then why not just install something like Xampp. Very easy to install and set up. Then you've got Apache, Mysql, and php all set up for your testing environment.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  14. Carman

Carman New Member

As the other guys recommended, if you're doing anything other than just testing, you're much better off paying for hosting rather than using a free hosting company. I've had tonnes of hassle with free ones, and generally all involve popups and adverts. There are lots of good hosting companies out there, and low-end starter plans can generally be had for a few quid a month. I'd advise using a UK company (just in case you have any problems, it makes things easier to sort out) rather than USA, Europe etc. Personally I use Evohosting and would recommend them to anyone, but as I said there are lots out there and a quick google should give you lots of opinions on which are the best. Good luck!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCP, CCNA, MSCE