Make use of ARP between routers?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kobem, Jul 23, 2009.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

As you know, a host must use hardware adressing in order to send packets on the local to the destination
    host and this addressing even used communication between routers. Also, data encapsulation thing
    is done in every part of the network world.But, ARP is told to be applied on the local LAN only.

If ARP is not run during the communication between routers, considering as an example router A and the one directly connected to it , router B , how can router A learn the destination hardware address of router B that time?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Mate I don't mean to sound harsh but it seems to me all you do is ask us the answers to your exam questions. Like, not a concept, but literally whats the answer to this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I believe this is covered in Network+.

<repeat>

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

But if NAT is using asynchronous encryption and router A is in the same time zone as router B then DHCP will take care of addressing and so ARP doesn't apply.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Good, solid advice there Jonny. I'd also add that if you're using a crossover cable, ARP won't work at all - the pairs are twisted the wrong way. Also bear in mind that the millennium bug affected ARP in a big way - so any device built after the year 2000 should actually use ARP2K instead of plain ARP

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. BosonMichael

That's what Reverse ARP (RARP) is for.

Dude! Now you're bringing back memories. I had to go around to every... single... workstation... and patch each one manually. What a drag! :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Unrelated but reading these threads by kobem and the replies from people here have really entertained me at 3 in the morning :)

And this gets rid of that annoying "you have not posted etc..." message yay :biggrin

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm dissapointed you didn't mention Parallel ARP (PARP) BM. It's not uncommon to hear a PARP when working on a difficult networking issue of this kind. Depending on who did it though, the TTL could be very low indeed ...

How did you overcome the ping flux variations after the ARP2K limitations became known though? We had to use Harmonic ARP (HARP). Very soothing actually!

I'm sure there are other variations of ARP, perhaps some of the more experienced network guru's could enlighten us?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Theres always:

Copper ARP (CARP) - but that seemed a bit fishy to me.
    Temporary ARP (TARP) - good for a blanket first application

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Have you tried configuring router A to be the AARP client and router B to use BARP?
    You haven't mentioned why you are using two routers anyway because I can get BBC2 on my box at home without any.
    You may also have been misled by one of those trick questions, and you may find that the answer is something obvious like 'c) You don't need ARP to make TOAST'.

Zeb made a valid point about ARP2K so I'd contact Cisco and make sure you are using the right specs.

Or you've just asked another random question then buggered off for three months without reading any of the answers like you usually do...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. BosonMichael

I wish the TTL were lower, mate... becuase nobody will press ALT-F4 on the troublesome app! ;) :biggrin