Make This Folder Private???

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by malik06, Dec 22, 2007.

1. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

This is driving me nuts! Simple File Sharing is supposed to be simple, but I can't grasp a basic part of it.

I don't understand what the "Make This Folder Private" button does, under the Sharing tab when Simple File Sharing is enabled. If a folder is in your My Documents folder, you can check the box to make the folder private, but I don't see how that makes a difference, as your My Documents folder is off limits to other Local Users anyway.

Does checking the box only affect other users in your workgroup, as opposed to Local Users? Is that it?

Certifications: Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

It affects the local users because workgroup people shouldn't have access to My Documents anyway.

Though, I'm not 100% sure actually..

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  3. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

I created another user account on my machine and logged on with it. That account couldn't access the folders of any other user on the machine, even though I have simple file sharing enabled.

My text says that you can only make a folder private if it's already in your profile. But a folder is protected from other Local Users if it's in your profile anyway.

If someone could offer an example of how to use it, I'm reasonably sure I could then understand it. That's what I hate about the MS text. No examples. It sucks.

I don't fancy setting up a proper workgroup at home just to figure out this simple question. And i can't figure it out on the machines at work, as they're all on a domain. I could use a couple of new machines I'm rolling out at work to set up a workgroup and play around with this, but I so don't have time to do that these days. I have to get those machines moving out! I only issued one last week. Just one! Ridiculous!

4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

You can only make a folder private if it is in your profile. While the profile isn't accessible to users either locally or across a network, it will be to administrators. Making the objects "private" removes their access.

Edit: Found an explanation: Linky

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

Cool! Thanks.

The text doesn't even mention local administrators, and as far as I can tell, local administrators are the only ones involved when that change is made. I think it's a bit of an oversight.

Derkit: Congrats on your pass. I'm taking 70-271 myself in about a month's time. Which reminds me... I should set up my test date very soon.

Thanks again. :D

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

While it doesn't make reference to it explicitly, I presume they require us to consider all angles when approaching problems/ideas so we have to take into account every account/group from Everyone, Guest and all the way up to administrator.

Cheers for the congrats - you'll be fine with the exam, just be comfortable with the material when you try to take it.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293