Mail Servers

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by punkboy101, Oct 8, 2004.

1. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi all

Something has come up, and I was wondering if anybody know's where I can get decent mail server software. It need's to be free, cause it's only gonna be in place for a month and a half top's, and the boss ain't willing to spend the dosh.

I will be using Mdaemon Pro once I'm organised and finished with the move, so something with similiar capabilities would be good. I know my chance's of findin something like that for free (well, legally anyway lol) are slim, but any advice/help would be great.

BTW, I was looking at Pegasus, has anybody used it?

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  2. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

You can trial Exchange 2003 for 120 days....[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Funny you mention Pegasus as whe I started reading I thought of this one. Haven't used but I've heard it's not too bad.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Surgemail has a free for private use version
    ofcourse, this isnt private use, but it may also have a trial version :)

also why cant you use MDaemon at present? i must say i havnt used it for 4 years, but whats the problem with deploying it now, and after the move?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

I can't deploy now because to cut a long story short, there were 2 companies working in the same office. When it was set-up 3 years ago, no one bothered to set-up a seperate network for the second company. :x

So, everything is intertwined. I've had a nightmare of a time trying to seperate database's that should have been seperate in the first place, and the email system is the same. Basicly, the tech who did it was a dink, but don't get me started on him lol :x :x

Company A is going under, but it is still going to be open for the next month or so, hence the MDaemon Pro Server has to stay here for the next little while. Company B is moving, and I need just something temporary for it to operate.

I wanted to take the company A server with me, but the boss isn't having any of it. He say's it has to stay here till the company closes. :(

Oh well, TFGIF!! :D

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

why not deploy MDeamon pro in trial mode? that way you should be able to copy all of the companys mailboxes and such to the trial box, and either copy back once u get the old server, or upgrade the trial to full mdaemon when the move is complete

talk to the mdaemon sales folks, they might be able to help you perform the migration with minimal cost/problems whilst maintaining the same platform

7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Linux - RedHat V8 has a mailserver.

8. Bull Gates

Bull Gates Byte Poster

SUSE Linux 9.1 also comes with a mail server.....i guess :blink
    neways y don't u make a photocopy of the Server A as it is i guess
    u'll have 2 deploy ur own server sooner or later, 2day or 2moro :eek:
    take a ghost image of Server A atleast so that u won't have 2 go
    through similar troubles if u plan 2 deploy ur own server in the near
    future or then it can b used as backup if somethin goes wrong 8)

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Deffo has a trial vers - might be 2-3 months, not sure. But a fabulous mail system
    I put 4 new servers online this week using it. But then I'm biased...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I cant really suggest trying to deploy a linux mail server to be the ideal solution

especially not for a short term goal like this
    unless you have a ton of time to learn/configure/tweak things like sendmail and postfix, your looking at a gaping security hole lol (as with ANY mail server, but in perticular sendmail) and sendmail done right is one hell of task :)

deffo not what your looking for with this short term migration goal

11. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

Well, after much fighting with my boss, I manged to get a couple of hours to myself to finish seting the new mail server this morning. :) It only took me a bloody week to get him off my back for a couple of hours lol. :rolleyes: :x

I decided to with the MDaemon option, and I must say how impressed I am with it. Very easy to use, set-up and configure. I would recomend this to anybody. :D

Decided to start from scratch with it, rather than take a copy of the other server and just delete the profiles I no longer needed. Though it would be good a chance to gain some experience with setting up and configuring a mail server. How right I was, it was easy, but I did learn something. :biggrin

Nugget, I did have a little play with Pegasus, and as a stand alone client (like Outlook Express) I found it worked fine. Trying to set it up as a mail server for the network however, proved difficult so I decided against wasting precious time trying to get it goin (cue somebody to tell me how easy it is now lol).

Anyway, just thought I'd let you lot know what course of action I took, thanks for all the advice guy's :D :thumbleft

Andy

P.S. Just to let you know what an idiot my boss is, when I explained to him last week that he needed to leave me alone for a few hours to get this done cause we didn't have email here, he told me that email wasn't that important to the business. lol

I told him that we recieve at least 10 orders a day throught the website (delivered by email obviously), and that we wouldn't be getting them, he said don't worry, I'm sure they will phone or fax us. None of them did, I just recieved a week's worth of web order's that I've buried the sales guy under. :rolleyes:

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

We used pegasus back at my very first job (like, 8 years ago when i was 14 lol)
    Havnt used it since then, and wasnt perticularly keen on it

used MDaemon at another previous employer, for the size of the company it was great, small, and easy to set up

more recently in the larger enterprises I have had to use Lotus (R5/R6) and Exchange (2000/2003) as well as things like Sendmail and Postfix (evil,, lol not really)

the learning curve for the high end mail servers is pretty steep, they are complex beasts, but VERY powerful pieces of kit, no doubt about that

Well done Andy
    keep up the good work