Machine died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leehaa, Aug 18, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Mine was installed wrong... it ejects vertically. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes - the motherboard has a problem. (Don't you have a PSU tester? If not they don't cost a lot from Maplins - get your boss to spring for one.)

Did you try booting it with minimum load?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Yas.
    No - will ask.
    Yes, and no joy!

Thank you.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  4. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

are you using an extension lead.?

WIP: C++ and A+
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sounds very much to me like the Motherboard then. Presumably you used a similarly powerful PSU for the replacement? (Shouldn't matter for minimum load like Harry suggested).

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Yes.
    We tried one the was slightly more powerful and one that was similar.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Sorry if this has been asked Lee but i only scn read all the posts...

You have tried the PSU in another pc?
    Have you tried teh CPU and memory etc in another PC?
    have you looked to make sure there are no cables possibly burnt out or shorted to the case / components?
    Any of these might cause teh psu to appear to fail. I've had numerous occasions when a psu will spin its fan once and then not power up teh PC, and its never been the PSU but something else. If teh PSU fails normally i wouldnt expet the fan inside it to spin at all. (though not in everycase)

Also its called an IEC mains lead.... not kettle lead (kettle leads used to be different slightly). And teh figure of 8 lead is for class 2 insulated equipment as it only has a live and neutral wire no earth like teh IEC has. These would normaly be on stereo systems etc and maybe low voltage PSUs like you might find on a laptop. Also some laptops such as Dell have a treble o triangle arrange ment on thier plugs just to confuse matters more.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. hbroomhall

Actually - they are *all* IEC connectors. :ohmy
    The standard PC connector is C13/C14. The 'kettle' lead strictly is C15/C16 - there is a indentation in the plug. And the 'Figure 8' cable is C7/C8. See diagrams here.

Harry.

9. Big Brotha

Big Brotha Bit Poster

Have you checked if the fuses got blown on the mains leads?, if the power supply worked in an alternative machine then check for a short circuit on the motherboard

10. JoshC

JoshC Bit Poster

you can test the PSU, to see if it powers up or not, although be careful, I once did it a little wrong, and managed to melt a paperclip after it went white hot.
    unplug everything, and then on the large 20/24 pin connector that fits to the motherboard, connect the green and black one in the middle of the psu (I take no resposibility for electricution :eek: )

11. hbroomhall

This is why I suggested a proper PSU tester. They don't cost much and are much safer than messing with paper-clips!

Harry.