Machine died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leehaa, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

If a machine died whilst someone was working on it...

...then wouldn't boot up...

...you tried a new kettle lead and that didn't work...

no life at all. Actually, there was life for a split second with the new kettle lead...then died again...

what would you do next?

Cheers

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on who 'I' was.

If a user - call the IT department (or the shop).

If an engineer then I'd get out the PSU tester to check the PSU first. If that appeared to be good I'd then disconnect most load on the motherboard and try again.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Remove everything from the computer that it doesn't need to boot up - e.g. any additional PCI cards, secondary CD drives etc.

Then boot it.

If it still won't boot then remove the most important parts of the machine one by one and test them in a secondary rig. (Check all the important bits - HDD, CPU, MOBO etc)

As you said it had no life what-so-ever then it's most probably related to the motherboard/psu. Open up the case, does the Motherboard have any lights on it? Do the PSU fans spin when you connect the power?

Give us a run-down and we'll happily help :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Cool - thanks!

...no - no fans - nothing.

*Funnily enough, a PC of exactly the same spec and built around the same week (3 years ago) did the same about a week and a half ago. That one (from a week and a half ago) responds in that the fans are working, but motherboard appears dead - no memory beep when you remove the memory etc...*

...anyway, going back to the one in question, will have a go tomorrow when my manager is back in to cover the other bits, then report back!

Cheers in advance!

L

5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Cheers. Will give it a go tomorrow when there's two of us.

Will probably be around here a lot as in my last roles, duties have been mainly software troubleshooting / administration...but as the majority of machines in the new place are a fair bit older than before, there seem to be more hardware issues...which is actually starting to become quite fun :D

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If these are older machines then look at the capacitors on the motherboard. If the tops are bulging then the motherboard is a writeoff.

More info and pics here.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

First and foremost... I'd Google up what the heck a "kettle lead" is. :usa

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

What do you plug your kettle in with, does it not have the same three pin connector as a PC power lead?
    (ok, most kettles don't have the same connector any more, but quite a few jug ones still do)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  9. BosonMichael

First... I haven't used a kettle in years. Second... no, they don't have the same connector. :D

"Perhaps you'd like to try our new kettle with USB attachment... Very stylish... or perhaps this nice coffeemaker with CAT5 capability, hmmmm?"

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I certainly wouldnt say the motherboard was a write off, I repair those all the time at work, ifs its a machine that is perfectly good or has a slightly perculiar motherboard mount design then I fix them (which is all of them at work=DELL). for £2-3 worth of components and about 30 minutes of my time one, you have one perfectly working motherboard again.

The caps problem normally presents itself in a machine that wont boot up (it will switch on but no bios will display). if you then switch it off and on a couple of times and then it works you can bet your bottom sterling currency that its the caps that have gone.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well in my experience the PSU is the most likely thing to have failed.. you should keep a few spare PSUs around as it's quicker to just hook another one up than to test the o/p voltages.

As for the leaky capacitor MOBO issue, that can cause a number of symptoms, but usually related to instability, intermittent (spontaneous re-boots) and failing to boot.. not usually totally dead. And you need to be fairly adept with a soldering iron to attempt a repair, as removing the original capacitors, isn't for the inexperienced.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Kettle lead is technically wrong, what the PC mains lead connector is actually called is an IEC C13 / C14 connector but who's going to remember that! Kettle lead is more 'user friendly'.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  14. BosonMichael

Here in Merica, we just say "power cord". :usa

15. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

surely that could "lead" to confusion, does he mean 3 pin lead or figure 8 lead!? :biggrin kettle leads are a good desciption here in the UK as historically all kettles have only had one type of lead (although mostly they are now all built into the base), kettle leads have been powering computers,marshall amps and kettles (which cryptically enough powers the engineers to fix said amps and computers,I cant fix anything without screwdriver in one hand and nice hot steaming cuppa in the other!) although im sure it wont be too long before "kettle lead" gets lost in the mists of time.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

IMHP It's a mains lead.. simple as that 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. BosonMichael

What is a figure 8 lead? :usa All desktop computers use the same type of power cord here.

18. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

He hee! Lol. A few people over here use that expression and it's just stuck with me - not the correct terminology, but then is "power cord"?

You should start using the word - have people think you're crazy over there too!

19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Look at buying a new kettle?:oops:

Sorry, couldn't resist.:twisted:

I'd start with looking at the PSU.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  20. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Lol...well...it's to go with that coffee cup holder...you know...the one at the top of the tower that pops out when you press that little button :D

Started with the PSU - a spare one we had didn't work on the machine....but the spare one and the one that belongs to the machine powered up a different machine fine...

...does any of that make sense??!? One of those brain-overload days today lol.