Macbook Air - using windows programs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by compunerd, Apr 11, 2011.

1. compunerd

compunerd New Member

Just got myself a macbook air, I was going to get a different model but they were sold out. I'm glad they were, the air is brilliant.

I am normally a windows user so it has been a little bit of an adjustment but it is very intuitive.

The only thing is I have several pieces of software on my old laptop that I want to use on my mac. Is there any way to do this? i don't want to pay out for the same software twice.

Cheers

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

http://www.parallels.com/uk/

or VMware fusion.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

use virtualbox as it's free. It allows you to run an OS like Windows within OSX. That way you get the best of both worlds being able to use Windows and OSX.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I'll echo the advice you've been given above. VMWare, Parallels, or VirtualBox will let you run Windows apps on your Mac. I currently use VMWare, but I've used Parallels in the past. I don't know that either one is better than the other. VirtualBox is free, so that's a good place to start, but I've never used it.

5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I've heard good things of Fusion and the demo I saw made it seem like a fantastic piece of software.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'd also go with fusion, its great!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0