MAC vs PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JMESSY, Mar 29, 2009.

1. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

Hello all,

forgive me if a question like this has been posted on here before. I am new to this and just need a little advice from you guys.

right.

I am really hard into my music making and I am looking to upgrade to the best but I am a little stuck so here goes.

I currently own a PC here are the spec:
    19"
    Windows XP pro2 SP2
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU
    3.40Ghz / 3.39Ghz
    1GB RAM.
    500GB Hard Drive

and i am looking to get a mac but can not afford a power mac and i do not like the macbook etc... I am looking at a iMac.

The specs for this iMac are as follows:
    24"
    2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    4GB Memory
    640GB Hard Drive
    Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard - Operating system

so here it is. is my current system better than this mac although i know that Mac is the way to go in regards to making music.

any feedback please people i am open to all.

cheers guys.

Certifications: ECDL, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE
  2. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Well, arguably the Core 2 Duo is much faster. It depends entirely what software you want to use. If you want to use Logic, then you need a Mac, if not, then you can probably live with a PC! :biggrin

3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Jmessy

It comes down to what can you do more with a Mac then your current rig? Unless there is a program that will not run under windows that you need, you are likely wasting your money.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

EDIT You are likely wasting a TON of your money, seeing as how macs cost a fortune compared to a PC you can build yourself.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

hey guys thanx for the quick replies.

well i really want to start getting into logic. i have used it and i am pretty bummed i can not get logic 8 on my pc.

i currently use cubase, reason and my MPC1000.

basically my main switch would be for logic (oh and cause the iMAC is sexy) lol.

i just want to make sure that it will be worth the switch and i guess if i end up not liking logic i guess i still can use cubase etc on my iMac by using bootcamp.

the main thing is will this mac due the job or would i be shooting myself in the foot if i got it??

cheers people.

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The hardware spec of the iMac (regardless of if it's for the Mac or Windows platform) is alot better than your current PC. As you can get that spec on both PC (windows) as well as Mac (OS X), the question for you is which would you feel more comfortable using for doing your tasks?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

well i have used both in the past and to be truly honest i do prefer the iMacs. i just do not want to be wasting the money.

its got to the point where i feel i need a upgrade so its crunch time do i upgrade da PC which i know will be much cheaper or do i just get the iMac and do the job properly.

8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Buy the iMac, that's the one you want. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Kitkatninja

Well then it boils down to:

The amount you want to spend vs the functionality

And only you can make that decision.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  10. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

You'd be better with a Powermac really. An iMac is more for desktop usage, whereas a Powermac is what you'll see in the studios, and for good reason. Much better specs, still pretty, and you can still get a pretty monitor for them. Have a gander on the website.

Anyway, I've done a lot of studio work and I can confirm for you that Apple computers are generally considered to be the PCs of choice for those sorts of tasks, and having used them, can tell you that they're wonderful. :)

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  11. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

the money is not a problem really.

i have £1500 budget. the imac will set me back £1199.

and i am happy to pay that if... IF it is gonna be the right move.

12. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

as stated in my 1st post i can not afford a power mac just yet which is why if it gonna be a mac im looking at the iMac.

so any advice on the iMac mattstevenson

cheers

13. Kitkatninja

If you have the budget, why not go for the iMac. See if you can get a bigger drive and like you've already mentioned bootcamp it, plus get the better GC (like the GT 120/130) if you play games. Then you can have the best of both worlds - the iMac for Music and Windows for everything else :)

-Ken

14. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

some valid points there mate thanks alot.

if anybody else has some advice or info they may feel would be useful for me then I look forward to hearing from you all.

thanks again.:biggrin

15. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

True but I enjoy my mac far more then any windows PC I have ever owned or used and the hardware is very well thought out. Yes they are undenighably expensive and if you are looking at it on a striaght cost basis then a Mac will never win, but if that was the only side of the argument this wouldnt be a discussion. I find the Mac OS a joy to use where as windows just seems intent on stoppoing me doing what I am doing.

What I will not do is automatically say you must have a Mac or you must have a PC, as their is no one size fits all solution, espically if it seems like the only reason for that is cost.

Jmessy

It really does depend on what you need and what you anticapte you needs to be, if Logic is the best step forward for you buy the Mac, if you are unsure wait as they can be an expensive mistake.

I made the switch to having a Mac as my main machine and I love it, I did however but a few posts together on the subject have a read and see i if helps you any.

The Switch to Mac part 1 of 3/

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  16. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Why not get a Mac Pro and buy a 24" Monitor? Unless you're really after an all in one, that's what I'd do. The way I see it if you're going to be spending £1200 on a computer, you might as well spend that little bit extra.