MAC version of TS via IE ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by webslinger2k, Mar 27, 2007.

1. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

I have a little opportunity that I need to find a solution for to a problem I am having at work.

My set up is as follows:

Testlab environment inc DC, DHCP services
    Environment includes all manner of various Severs including 1 Windows server we reserve for users to test web facing products through IE and FF. I have created several links on our Intranet Homepage which allow users to click, and be taken through to the ActiveX session of TS, automatically logging users in with an available U/P. From here the users fire up their desired browser and test until their hearts content.

Request:

We have recently been asked to provide a way of users testing our web based products via Safari on OS X, which I can accomodate by running VNC on their usual testing server, and connect to Vine Server VNC on the Mac. Thats all fine....

Problem:

Insted of having the users login to the ActiveX TS session and then connect to the MAC via VNC, I would like the user to be able to "TS" straight into the MAC in the same way they currently do for the Windows box - I have little to no experience with a MAC in this capacity, so am seeking some much needed assistance from you guys on CF :)

to put the problem simply I need some way to use IE to access MAC OS X remotely

any help much appreciated - in the mean time, I will contine the google search....

thanks

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  2. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

sorted thanks :) - ignore this post now...

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

what was the solution mate :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

just used <a href="linkhere.vnc"> tag to invoke the VNC software...only downside is that this way you have to ensure the VNC software is installed on the relevant users machines before hand

still it works though, until i can find a way to better it, it will have to do :D

5. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

incase anyone cares, found a better way to do this in the end.

I used a neat little VNC Active X script, butchered it a little to suit my needs and am happy as larry. Users cant mess around, and no software needs to be rolled out to anyone - so its all good.

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Sounds like you did the deed there mate

Well done :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

hehe glad you sorted it, well done!

Coming on here and asking questions about Macs is like going to a Linux forum and asking how to configure Vista :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Aint that the truth!!

I really have such limited knowledge with OS X and Macs in general...earlier today, I wanted to resize the window the active x opened the VNC connection in, it took me longer to find out where that option is in OSX than it did to update the code in the page itself LOL.

I tell you what though - I am using a MacMini to do this, and they are absolutely awesome little bits of kit.....for a media centre that is. Nothing more...the hardware itself is nothing short of astounding.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes don't get me wrong i also think the latest Macs are awesome, a friend of mine has one of those 20" wide screen Jobie's with all the gubbins built into the monitor - it's is without doubt the most futuristic bit of kit i have ever used. But configuring it, well :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hence why I bought myself the MacBook! :biggrin