Mac support jobs?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sub_bass, Feb 20, 2008.

1. sub_bass

sub_bass New Member

Hello all,

I got a phone call and email from a recruitment agency about a helpdesk role supporting mac users. The problem is that I don't know much about Macs and the programs they will use, therefore I'm not feeling that confident in such a role like this ( I would be if it was on Windows!). My other concern is that I obviously won't get to learn Active Directory and Microsoft stuff (and the things junior people usually will do) in the future in this role and company. The upside is that I'll be able to get helpdesk/phone experience.

I've never worked in IT before and I know how hard it is to get an entry level job with so much competition. So I kind of have mixed feelings about this and lean more towards a job that supports Windows users :D

What do you think?

2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

You may get help desk/phone experience, and at least some of that experience will translate, but you'll be spending a lot of time learning something that you don't really want to do. If you don't like the idea of supporting the Mac, then I suggest passing on the opportunity. What would happen in a couple of years when you're ready to move on to a junior level systems engineer and you have no experience support Windows computers? You'll probably have to start all over again on the Windows side, so taking this job doesn't make much sense if you don't want to support Macs long term.

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

MY work place used to be roughly 40% MACS 59% PCs and 1% SunSolaris. The MACS were usually used by the people in the studio who used graphics programs to create adverts for the Newspapers we produce but the company has moved on and its all PCs these days with photoshop.

So the job could be supporting users who are using graphics programs. Good Luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome :)

It really does depend on you, do you want to enter a Mac environment? How long have you been trying to enter IT?

This may be a good opportunity for you, as you may in the future get a job supporting a company like where GBL works - one that had a good PC/Mac ratio, or then again it may not. Not all entry level IT jobs start off with Windows. One of the first IT jobs that I applied for was in a Linux environment.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Mac support 101:

[​IMG]

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I thought Macs 'just worked'. Why on earth would they need a support tech. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hey mate, I could say the same thing about Linux (remember Netmanager) :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. sub_bass

sub_bass New Member

Hehe I thought Macs were supposed to be "user-friendly" as well..:biggrin

Thanks for the replies though. I've given it some thought and decided not to take it any further and hold out for role in a Windows environment.

9. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Wise choice! Although I'd only recommend getting into Macs if you specifically want to go that route, quite a few Mac-specific support companies seem to be branching into Windows, so it's a tricky one.

I do my mother's Mac support - without much experience in OSX (despite growing up with Macs in the 80s and not meeting a PC till '95) it's far harder to do the basics we take for granted with Windows <sigh!> Hold out for the next agent who calls you!

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia