Mac experts?

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Aug 14, 2014.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK, ill try and be as descriptive as I can and hopefully some one will understand what im on about.

We are/have been imaging the macs in the campus, we have had a guy in from amsys who has created an image and we are now deploying etc. The issue we are having is when you deploy this new image, it pulls the wrong profile, it seems to be pulling last years profile down, even though this is a fresh new image etc??

Apparently they had this issue last year, but no one can seem to remember the problem, from what I can gather, and by the way im a mac novice, the machines are meant to be manually added, as the mac addresses are kept in the mac servers 'list' etc, so that machine will be linked to a specific mac address. Having said that, the naming convention would still of been the same, MAC01 - MAC24 etc.

Its only happening to one section of our campus, where the building is on its own subnet, but on the right address segment etc?? Although im dismissing this for the reason everything works, apart from this profile issue.

As far as im aware the workgroup manager is the one that will control/hold thee details of the profile?? Do the original details need to be deleted, do the machines need to be unbended then rebinded??? Or do we delete that one section from open directory and start again, then add them in one group??

Any ideas always welcome

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. colonelpanic

colonelpanic New Member

Assuming the Macs are bound to OD ok (you can check in the Users & Groups system preference, it sounds like you need computer records in workgroup manager with the correct MAC address / ethernet ID filled in. Each MAC address in WGM must be unique otherwise it won't work. Once you have a computer record you just need to make sure it is in the correct computer group.

3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Cheers for the reply Colonel.

We thing we have sussed it but we are still struggling with preferences being pulled in. One thing that has been noticed is the $ sign, which apparently is meant to be hidden, is coming up, so well have one mac as MAC01 and then another saying MAC01$ for example. this basically means we have duplicate names, but only in that block. this i think is one issue, i cant understand why it struggling to pull the correct preferences down though?

I think were going to delete the machines manually and then re add them manually, then bind them to OD and see what goes

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680