Lpic

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by mcrilly, Apr 7, 2009.

1. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Greetings,

Firstly let me start by saying I have searched the forum and I have read the thread entitled "LPIC." The thread had some excellent comments made and answered questions I hadn't even thought of. It is, however quite old (nearly two years) and I wanted a more upto date view on the certification and how it would tip the balance with regards to getting a junior administrative job.

Now, to "business." I'm interested in acquiring my LPIC Level 1. Why? Because I've been playing with Linux for the past few years now, on and off. By playing, I mean I've swapped between various distros. I've had troubles with video drivers, video codecs, missing dependencies, etc. In a lot of the cases, I've fixed the issue(s). I have a good grasp of the commands available to me and I'm currently learning Python to make shell-scripting that little bit easier and ever-so-more powerful.

As for server-side stuff. I've setup FTP servers, HTTP servers, IRC servers, Proxy servers, etc. I've done LAMP. I've done it manually and auto-magically with fancy tricks that come with certain distros, such as Ubuntu (that does everything for you in like, a single command).

I am, however, lacking with implementing, trouble-shooting and maintaining hardware related matters as well as networking matters. I have a good grasp on both subjects, as individual subjects.

All-in-all I do enjoy playing with Linux. Linux is, quite literally, what you make of it. You can take Ubuntu and turn it into <insert-your-name-here>buntu. You can take Debian and make your own distro and call it "AwesomeDistroLOL" or you can take a stab at an LFS. It's great fun, with a lot of challanges. But as much fun as it is, I am also in it for the money. I guess you could say it would be pretty much a dream to get a job as a Linux System Administrator: lots of learning and fun and I'd be getting paid for it. I'd be a footballer of the Linux world: paid to do something I enjoy.

So, that's a bit of background information. I do have a couple of questions.

1) Who has actually passed the LPIC Level 1 certification and is presently active on this forum to give some feedback?

2) Is Linux a sort after skillset/profession at the moment, in the UK, especially with the recession? Are companies saving money with Linux-based technologies and staff?

3) I know I can self study for the LPIC Level 1 cert. with two Linux boxes at home, but are there any facilities for simply taking the exam, instead of paying reDONKulous prices like £3,500 for a 6-day LPIC Level 1 course?

4) Anyone got a job? :biggrin

I appreciate all feedback, including tea and biscuits. I like two sugars and I'll only accept the SAS of biscuits: Hob Nobs.

Thanks in advance. Anyone got any questions?

*play Dragoon's Den end-of-pitch music here*

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP
  2. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I'm going to be taking it after my N+. I'm pretty much the same as you, a hobbyist who has tried alot of stuff using linux. Will be interesting to see how you get on :D

It's also going to come in handy for my migration of our servers to linux at my company :ohmy

Linux is obviously very popular for running servers etc. so there are definately jobs available, so a vendor neutral cert should certainly help in that department, especially if the employer wants you to study one of the common versions of linux used in the real world (taking RHCE etc. )

You dont have to use a training provider ( see here ) You can just self study and book the exam directly through Pearson VUE. I'm going to try this book first of all and see how it goes.

Sorry I can't be of much more help, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

You've been very helpful, mate. Cheers. I couldn't find that link (the one regarding Pearson VUE) so that's helped. I'm going to book my test in a few days once I've bought the book you've suggested.

Thanks for the advice :)

4. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Are you not going to study the book first? :D :blink

LPIC tests are around £75 last time I checked and you can do them when you like. Book them a week or two in advance depending how busy your nearest place is.

Im not LPIC cert'd as of yet but have studyed about 3/4 of the O'Reilly LPI in a nutshell book. Is not as upto date as the above referenced book (last print 7/2006), but is ok as long as you check the objectives on the site etc.

I havent got a job as a dedicated Linux admin but run 2 linux and 2 Windows servers, and am seriously considering moving away from current position (a school with no real recognition for the job) into either a coding or linux admin job! :D

I started playing with Linux in 1995 with mainly the Slackware distro which teaches you loads, and have played with a few others over the years.

Not sure how the industry is but a quick search of jobs in Wales is not too wonderful, id expect better where you are from. I have seen Linux positions going around here, I just need to decide exactly what I want to go for and get on with the certs :D

re: your profile, Id recommend the CCNA for anyone admin a small/medium network and I think the CCNP is more for a comms oriented job.

Are you doing an IT job now?

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  5. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

I'll certainly read a book before taking the exam. I'm booking the exam for a month down the line, not tomorrow and I'm only taking 101 and 102, which I can probably pass quite easily.

I do not currently work in IT, no.

6. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Id class myself as an intermediate user of linux, but I found there to be lots of annoying stuff to remember even in 101 (havent looked at 102 yet). I personally find remembering the command line options of lots of commands that I dont use often to be annoying, things like text filter commands. I do not think 101 will be a walkover although not that hard you do need to remember lots of command line stuff.

I tend to be a bit short on time with the family and all that :)

Good luck with it, let us know how you find it :)

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646