LovGate Virus

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by mika, Aug 22, 2005.

1. mika

mika New Member

Recently, my workplace's PC has been infected by the Lovgate virus that spreaded through our network.

I had d/l the Lovgate Fixtool from Symntec and ran the programme in Safe Mode as i've been told to by some1 i'd rather not mention :knife
    The infected PC has been scanned again in NORMAL mode

Thinking that the system is safe, I u/l my personal folder into my thumbdrive. Lo and behold my TD caught the LovGate virus. I found out after i plugged it into my own PC

I had to format my thumbdrive through Command Prompt.

My PC has been scanned and re-scanned since then. No virus was found.

The problem is...everytime I shut down my PC a dialogue box pop-up reading "CApp not responding" on the titlebar.

I never had any problem with my PC. I just bought last year and we have no Internet connection. It's not doing anything obviously damaging but i don't like the idea of viruses sitting inside my hardrive. Please help.

2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Is that a typo?

Here's why I ask.
    You say your computer has no internet access. How do you keep your virus definitions updated?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. mika

mika New Member

Virus definition? I don't update my anti-virus if that's what your asking.

Yes Capp.exe a typo. It's really ccapp.exe. My bad. So there's no worm inside my PC?

Norton Anti Virus automatically scan my PC every 2 hours.

Still why does it pop-up? It never does before.

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Here's something I found on the net. Link
    And another one here for you. Link

Just one question though, if you don't connect to the internet and you don't update your virus definitions then why run your antivirus every 2 hours and for that fact why run an antivirus program at all?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

nugget has a good point, why have an AVP if it's not kept up to date?

6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I believe you said you have a anti-virus program that was made in 2003. That means you have no, or very little anyway, ability to detect any of the hundreds, or thousands maybe, of viruses and worms created since then. For all practical purposes you have no antivirus protection and most likely some newer virus that you haven't identitified yet is messing with your antivirus program because many of these things are written to either shut the antivirus programs down or to disable them.

No updating of definitions = no ability to detect new viruses.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Freddy's correct. If somehow a virus makes it onto your computer, you're hosed.

Certifications: A+ and Network+