Loud laptop fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Angus, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

I have a laptop which has a hellish loud fan which starts a few minutes after i switch it on. When it has been running for long times on my lap, it doesn't feel hot and I dont usually run more than one program on it, mostly just for the net.

Is there anyway I can check if its running too hot or set the fan to run at a higher temperature ?

Its can be quite distracting when I am trying to read documents on the screen.

Cheers
    Angus

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Has the laptop fan always been this loud? It may be part of the normal operation. You could try going to the manufactuer's website and seeing if there's anything about this in their knowledge base. You could also call their tech support and see what they have to say. I recall when I got my laptop, there was a section in the owner's manual that talked about normal fan operation. Those would be my initial suggestions. Hope they help.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Angus, I could have written exactly what you just posted myself.

I'd love to quiten down my laptop fan.Like you said, it distracts me also.
    I also sometimes only run a couple of programs, yet sometimes it seems like the fan is going like crazy.

Sometimes I don't notice it, other times I do.I think maybe because I'm in total quiet, I'm noticing it more.
    :soz I'm not much help to you, but if you find a solution elsewhere, be sure to let us know here.

Meantime, wait for the others, they'll know more than me.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Y'know, there's really not much airflow space inside a laptop so I'm not surprised that it heats up so much faster than a desktop. Even under minimal stress, heat accumulation to critical levels would only take a few minutes. Check where you're using the laptops and make sure all the vents are clear. That's the only other thing I can think of.

5. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Thanks for the replies. I asked somewhere else too,but seems not a lot can be done. Someone mentioned changing the BIOS, but I dont have that option in mine.

Och well, will just have to crank up the TV again I guess :(

Cheers
    Angus

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I was sat there listening to Vivaldi, and decided to close my eyes.I found the brightness from the screen annoying, and said to myself I wished I could turn the screen off.

Then it occured to me, you can, it's just that I had set the screen never to turn off, in the Display Settings.

I had decided to set the screen "to never turn off," because it was annoying me one time.

Anyway, I went and set the screen to turn off after 5 mins.A consequence of this was that the laptop fan immediately quietened down.

I thought this was because obviously the screen was off, therefore less power needed, and that the fan would rev up again once I initiated the screen once more.

However, after a few hours of trying this, the laptop fan has never gotten as loud as it did when the display settings were set at "never turn off monitor."

Of course, my preference would be no noise at all, but this is still a big improvement.
    Don't exactly know why the fan is louder when the monitor's not set to go off, but there you go.

Hope this helps anyone a bit.

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Talk about Four Seasons in one day ? :lol:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Sounds like a wee squirt of WD40 is in order

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Egad, Sandy! :eek: Better take a look at the Knowledge Base article here.

10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Sadly the URL is not working Trip

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Bummer. Well, you could go down to the Knowledge Base and read the article entitled: "Quiet noisy computer fans with a drop of oil" or you could try accessing it like this. Hope this works.

12. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

A very good artical ... (I have been using WD40 for years)

Now how I am I going to explain to my lovley wife my sudden interest in Sewing Machine shops - as for the last 10 years I have ran in the opposite direction as soon as she has entered one? :roll:

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Are you kidding? This is perfect. Just tell her you're trying to be more sensitive to her interests and would be glad to accompany her into such a place. You'll get many "brownie points" for the comment and be able to do your "geek thing" while she's browsing for other stuff. A match made in heaven, I'd say. :D

14. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

"Could I have some nice green thread and some oil please" :oops:

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Ooh, SUIT you, Sir :eek:

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

May I have a translation, please?

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sorry, Trip - knew that one would throw you :oops:

There's a sketch show over here called The Fast Show. Two of the characters are Tailors (tho' I thought they would translate to a haberdashery scenario for the purposes of this "Thread" :P )

Anyway, they are a couple of innuendo-ridden and implied-camp comic stars who's catchphrase is "Ooh, suit you, Sir !"

Really, if you have to explain it ... :oops: :cry:

18. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Suits You OHHHH

Ahh the Fast Show - I still miss it

This Year I'll be mostly wearing a .....

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Broad grin, and slightly more on holiday than usual :lol:

20. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Arhh THE FAST SHOW

Greatly missed, Just checked out the site above and I just love the quotes page, my fingure is a little fatigued from pressing F5

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346