Lotus Notes anyone?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sparky, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Didn’t have a clue where to post this one so mods feel free to move it, hee hee!

Straight to the point, does anyone support a full Lotus notes environment? Potential for me to take on a new support contract which is running Windows 2k (DCs) and Lotus Notes.

There are a few sites involved but not a large amount of users.
    Anyways the last time I looked at Lotus Notes was four years ago and that was just supporting desktops. Is this going to be a nightmare to support before I can push an Exchange 2007 migration?

Virtual beers available for any help offered! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Leeaaah?

3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

yep I support full lotus notes environment! Its great fun :(

I believe that ms offer a ad connector for lotus notes :)

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

My office supports a notes environment with Domino server...

I hadn't any experience with it until a few months ago, and now I lovingly remember using Microsoft Outlook in my last environment and can't wait to go over to exchange.

We are running trials with the connector, in preparation of migrating to exchange and outlook, and from the experience we have, it can have some odd results. (Something to do with the way that each system stores/views E-Mails differently... I think.)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. Sparky

Will have a think about this one. If a server goes down the only thing I could do is reboot it and see if that fixes the problem. After that I’m outta ideas! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

From where I've been, the server itself hasn't been an issue. (though I've only been there 2 months.)

The real problems come with the actual users and accounts. Not sure if our office is set up how it should be, but our IT manager does seem pretty clued up on Lotus.

Things that come up daily are certificates expiring (which can be as easy to fix as the click of a few buttons or ten minutes work with the user, depending on how it has been set up within the office), users needing admin to set up lotus notes on every computer they want to use (I don't mean just having notes installed, but actually setting up their .id file on every pc, whilst logged in as them)... and a few other things.

I'm not a huge fan of Lotus so may well be doing it a huge disservice.

7. Sparky

Does the Notes data go into the users profiles. Therefore if they have roaming profiles will this help?

Also does Notes have a .ost file like Outlook does. The reason I ask is that some users may travel between sites and I dont want a full mailbox to be pulled over the VPN.

Thanks for the help so far everyone :thumbleft

8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I'm not an expert and can only say how things go in my office.

When setting a user up, you need to us an .id file. This is very small, like 4k. This file is generally copied to the C:\lotus\note\data folder for every machine the user has to log into. And when the user logs into that machine for the first time, the IT guys (because it is generally a little too complicated for normal users and we end up fixing it anyway.) has to enter some details such as where the domino mail server is and user name.

When this is all done, the first time the user logs in to Lotus the whole of their E-Mail records are replicated to the machine. (Replication also happens every time they log on or off, but I think it is merely changes.) Generally you put a block on how big a mail file can get to.

As far as VPN's, they work in exactly the same way, unless you give the user webmail. (Which can be done with Lotus/Domino)

9. Sparky

The id file sounds like a pain, does that hold the cached copy of the mailbox as well? :blink

10. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Im pretty certain a cached copy of the mail file is put on the pc, due to the old E-Mails being available for remote VPN users, even when they are not logged into the domain using the VPN. But the id file doesn't contain E-Mail data.