Lost motivation

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by piccadilly, May 18, 2010.

1. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Hi All,

After passing 271 last March, I haven't picked myself up to study for the next exam.

Really need a good kick up the butt from fellow ppl like you all.

Any tips on getting back on track?

Thanks

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

As my dad used to say: "Work like f*ck and think of Ireland"

Cant motivate you mate I'm afraid, only you can do that (speaking as one who has yet to complete a certification through self study). All I can suggest is that you look at the end goal you had in mind when you started certifying.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Quote : As my dad used to say: "Work like f*ck and think of Ireland"

:)

I know this was a silly post. Even if I put in an hour tonight I would have started. Okay that sounds like a plan!

4. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Buy some study material, books or videos then you feel guilty if you don't use them :)

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That'll be $1 (see avatar). I've changed my policies to take payment in advance, before services are rendered - I've been kicking, and you guys haven't been paying up! :dry

:p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I get like that too.

As said above focus on the end goal and it should give you a kick up the arse.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I've heard Tony Robbins is good at this stuff :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I've felt my motivation dropping recently as well, other things have rather intruded on my study time but thats a fairly crappy excuse tbh.

I've found the best motivation at the moment is actually just to think of the money :p

You need this cert to reach your goals, if you don't get it you can't reach that goal and you'll forever be left thinking about what you missed out on because you didn't get off your arse and get on with it. Really over stating its importance can help too!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. Jonny70

Jonny70 Bit Poster

Love this thread! Good to see so much positive energy being thrown around. And please don't kick my butt, BruceLee. Actually, for me avoiding that should be motivation enough. :D

This is actually a good time to be getting MS certs. Until the end of June (I think), Microsoft and Prometric are offering a "test insurance" program called Second Shot. So yeah, if you fail the test your first go-round, you can try again for free.

I didn't need it, but I still think it was a good idea to have it. Have any of you guys tried it?

10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Do what I did and loose your job and that will give you motivation. Seriously know what your going through as I've been through periods like that. It was 2.5 years between my last 2 MCSA exams as I lost all motivation. I think it's good to take breaks from study and do other things instead of hammering yourself all the time on study.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Sometimes its good to have a break between exams.

Now knowing that you have lost your motivation is a step in the right direction, what you have to do now is knuckle down and get going again.

Like you I lost my mojo and that actually lasted a couple of years. I took my 2003 MCSE in 2005, I sat my MCTS:SCCM in 2008 and then I did my MCITP:EA, SA and EDA7 this year. Why the delays between? Because I couldn't be bothered. Why did I do the MCITPs this year? Well I still wasn't really bothered but after paying for the courses I knew I needed to get bothered. Don't get me wrong, I love technology but sometimes there are other (better) things to do and that's why I put off doing the exams.

My advice to you would be to book an exam for 2 months time, that way knowing you have 2 months to study it should give you the incentive to do just that (study), if it doesn't then simply losing the £88 for the exam should give you that little bit more incentive.

It worked for me (infact I only booked onto the MCITP:EA course, I did the other two exams off the back of that and I am looking at doing a couple more in the next 6 weeks (70-652 and perhaps 70-403)).

Losing money is a good incentive to study and remember that.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

[​IMG]

Hope this will help ;)

I know what you going through. I just restart study on 70-290 after going half way and having break :(.

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA, CCNA
  13. Col

Col Byte Poster

I must admit I've been feeling myself flagging of late. But I took a week off completely and have started getting back into it today. That seemed to work for me. Exam in two weeks but after that I'm definitely taking some time off.

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  14. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Well this week was the week to get back into revision. Two nights so far of around an hour. Need to do more.

15. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I'm the same to be honest.. I did ITIL, 70-270, started 70-290 and got bored and just stopped..

6 months later I got a new job with a bit more growth potential.. So im really dedicated to do my MCITP :EA and ask for a £5k payrise.. thats my goal and I will stop at nothing to achieve this :)

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  16. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

Heh, if I had known in advance how much time and effort goes into gaining an MCSE I might not have started down that road! :blink

I've been studying virtually non-stop since Feb 2009 and have still managed to have some sort of a life outside of studying. Admittedly, the motivation almost got crushed when I failed my very first exam (70-270, of all papers!), but once I passed that one, and passed the next one, and the next one, the motivation got stronger as I started to knock off the exams. Now I'm just two exams away from gaining MCSE and I know that I can do it, although it will have taken me almost 2 years. As I get near the end, I find myself getting stuck into a new paper as soon as I finish the last one, cos I just want to get it all over and done with. No better motivation than that. :twisted:

17. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  18. Shuayb

Shuayb Bit Poster

Set yourself a reasonable deadline by booking the exam you're looking to study for. That should motivate you.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: SSCP, CCNA Security
  19. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Give yourself the ultimatum of: studing for an hour every night or sleeping outside with the dog, after the first night you will be studing away without a worry in the world!

20. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Haha. This made me chuckle. Have you actually tried that?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure