Lost Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bryan Mulley, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Bryan Mulley

Bryan Mulley New Member

In the Device Manager, I have listed uner 'Other Devices' a PCI device that has the yellow ?. Under 'properties' it is reported as 'the drivers for this device are not installed. (code 28).
    I have tried all the usual things like asking it to reinstall, go online to update, and inserted numerous cd rome asking for it to search, but without success.
    I do not know what the device is and as a result hace been unable to manually seek online for recognition or updating and/or reinstalling.
    The only information the PCI device properties can give me is under 'details' and is thus:
    Device Instance ld
    PCI\VEN_10D&DEV_026C&SUBSYS_CB8410DE&REV_A2\3&267A616A&0&81.

Help!
    B Mulley

WIP: Operating System Fundamentals
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Can you cut'n'paste the vendor ID etc again? I think you left out a character or so!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Making a guess - I suspect this is a NVidia sound device - so check your motherboard CD.

Another way of getting this back when thay have worked in the past is to point the update at the '.inf' directory. This usualy then finds the installed files and fixes the registry.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

How long ago did this happen? You could try using System Restore to get it back.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Bryan,

Welcome to CF. Does every piece of hardware you know about on the machine work? This could be onboard sound that hasn't had the drivers loaded because you have a sexy sound card.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Brian Mulley,

Is this the first time you've noticed this issue with the computer after building the computer from scratch and installing the operating system onto it?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA