lost connection AOL

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mof, Nov 22, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It should work mine does, the only refernce to AOL on my pc is the bookmark in my browser so I can check my emails.

I found that my router would get hot sometimes and then I would have connection issues but if I un-plugged it for a couple of minutes then it would cool down and everything would be fine.

Once your pc can see the router and the router is configured to connect to the tinternet then it doesn't need the AOL software.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

still havn't pop over to my sisters, thought we had sorted it out.

AOL is uninstalled but still the connection drops out after a couple of mins any more idears.:rolleyes:

WIP: C++ and A+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps ditch the AOL router?

This one is a decent replacement and easy to setup...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/52244

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

she seems not to have a router only a modem but i best check this fact in person. got side tracked with Chelsea today.:cry:

5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

One common issue i have seen with AOL in the past, I used to have loads of clients that used it, they may have changed the system in the last 5 years.

Is people installing firewalls (or windows built in for that matter) and blocking the AOL app

AOL has (maybe had now) two levels of authentication

standard PPPoA then there own through the AOL app to authenticate through a backend gateway

This means you could get a network connection, put couldn't ping any IPs beyond AOLs routers, because authentication through AOL app was blocked,therefore, failed.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

The problem is it keeps dropping out after a couple of mins, wouldn't this firewall block stop the connection alltogether.

7. supernova

yes , it was just something to look at

if ADSL drops out every couple of mins (ADSL light on modem shows it disconnect and trying to reconnect) then that's a sign of a sync problem, ie could be cable setup. Also with sync errors you can almost set your watch by them

I would check that all phones,faxes,skyboxes etc that share line have a microfilter. Also check for any faulty filters

Every time i see this client says its set up right, but find that they have a phone without a filter somewhere, there are also cheap and nasty filters out there.

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Another reason for loss of sync is a poor cable outside the house.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. supernova

Also

some Telecom services, that aren't broadband friendly.. don't hear this one so much

even ESI (electrostatic Interference) from other devices at the main socket will course it. Hence Iplates

10. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

you could be onto something here, when I was on the phone to her yesturday it was droppingout the n reconecting like it was on a two min loop.

11. supernova

sounds more and more like a phone without a filter to me

12. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

will check tonight to see if she has filters on all phones,

just to double check what you are saying is each phone extension no matter that there on the same line needs a separate filter?

13. hbroomhall

If you are using the small T-shaped filters then yes, each socket that has a phone or a modem (old style, not ADSL) or a Sky-box needs a filter.

Much rarer is an installation like mine where the filter is in the NTE5A. With this style then the ADSL connection is a separate cable to the NTE5 and no T-shaped filters are needed.

Harry.

14. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Good to hear from you Harry, and thanks for explaining what the filter looks like would only of had to ask later:rolleyes:

15. hbroomhall

16. supernova

Sorry had a meeting

Yes you have a filter on every phone BT phone Jack , and one on the ADSL modem in the ADSL socket (so there's a filter between each device and the extension cable to the main socket)

[​IMG]
    Of course instead of dial up modem you would have phone

However, you can run all the phones on an extension off the phone socket of a single filter as in my diagram

BT SOCKET
    ||
    FILTER = ADSL Modem
    ||
    phone 1
    ||
    phone 2
    ||
    Phone 3

Basically ADSL and Phone travel down the same cable but at different frequency ranges the filter (which is a simple RC circuit that you may have made at school or college is in fact a low pass filter) splits the two apart and offers them at separate sockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] frequency ranges (up/down stream = ADSL PSTN=Phone)

[​IMG] low pass filter

17. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Hi AndiC you were right threre new (Which they forgot to mention) Sky HD box was missing the filter, and when they disconnected it the problem went away. They have two sky boxes and yesterday when i told them to unplug the sky they only unpluged one not both.:rolleyes: good news is they have a spare filter. Should they now install the latest AOL software or not bother, Thanks everyone for the help and one good thing to come out of it is now I know how to ping the router LOL:hahaha

18. supernova

Great news glad i could help

19. hbroomhall

Chalk up another success for CF!

Well done!

Harry.

20. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

One last thing I suppose its a button that has to be checked but cant find it in internet options, Every time she starts the computer she has to manually connect to AOL stays connected:rolleyes: