Lost And confused_ HELP! which cert to get?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by ftaran, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ftaran

ftaran Bit Poster

hi guys,

i have just graduated in computer networks with a 2.1 but have no work experience, and it seeems that the first step into IT jobs is a helpdesk position! so i just wanna know which certificate should i get first, i want to get my CCNA first as it relates to my degree and i have studied the material during my undergraduate studies, but there is alot of posts saying that with no relavent experience its better to do the MCDST, what is the better option, can i go for MCPs rather than the MCDST???? someone help please!!!!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I replied to your exact same question earlier see here http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=40324 and yes you can do MCPs aslong as they are in the area you already working apart from the MCPs that relate to the MCDST as they entry level.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

TBH the CCNA is the wrong choice for a first IT Cert, look at something like the A+ or N+. As you have mentioned the CCNA is likely to do you more harm than good for your first time out, no one in their right mind would let a freshly certified, new to IT access to their Cisco gear.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. ftaran

ftaran Bit Poster

yes, thank you, its just realy hard when you realise that you have wasted 4 years of your life doing a degree and getting into a debt and you have to start from scratch, i could have done these certs right out of college :(

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I also wish I had done certs before doing my HND.

There has been some debate on here before as why colleges etc are running CCNA courses when network managers dont let people without experience administer networks and the only assumption I can think of is to make money or the colleges are not up to date with what IT managers want which is experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You haven't wasted your life - not at all. Your degree will come in handy, particularly later in your career, when you will be qualified for jobs that would otherwise be closed to you without the degree. Plus, the information you've learned in the pursuit of your degree will probably help you to advance up the IT career ladder faster than if you had not pursued a degree.

Had I been able to talk to you a few years ago, I'd have advised that you get an IT job - even a part-time one - while pursuing your degree so you can get the real-world experience that employers desire. Still, there's no reason to kick yourself - what's done is done. Take your hard-earned degree and get your foot in the door with an entry-level IT job so you can start your climb up the IT career ladder. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

I used to think the same and always wondered where I'd be if I had did some certs straight out of college in 1997 rather than going to university.

I left university in 2001 with a 2.1 in Bsc (Hons) Computing (Networks and Communications). Between 1999/2000, I did a 1 year placement at an IT services company doing mainly 2nd/3rd line support. Enjoyed it loads, but when I got my first job in IT after leaving uni, it was 1st line/2nd line. Was a bit down about it as I felt I went backwards a bit, but put my head down and got on with it. Now at long last I'm doing all the sys admin/network stuff I can handle :). This is only my second job in IT since leaving uni, yet loads of lads on my course who I'm still in contact with have have ha'f a dozen jobs or more in the same time frame!

I think 9 years after I graduated, my degree is finally paying off and glad I did it in the end. And not just the degree itself, all the stuff I went through (good and not so good) has helped me out now. Thinking about it, it's roughly 9 years to the day that I did my final exam, lol!

Who's to know where I'd be if I got into IT in 1997 rather than 2001 - perhaps I'd have never got in and chosen a different career, or perhaps I'd be an IT Director at some worldwide corporate firm - hindsight eh?

Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+
  8. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

I was someone who thought i would go straight into IT back in 2002 (when i left school) and it took me untill last year to start getting my certificates.

My first job was a wing and a prayer jobbie where i worked for 3 months getting paid £50 a week... YES A WEEK!!! I done workshop repairs, hardware and software, for a shop and they ended up making the original workshop engineer redundant and employing me full time on a 8k salary!!

I stayed for 2 years overall and then decided that i had forfilled my 'stepping stone' role and went contracting in the London area!! Contracting was the best choice i made once you have a few roles under your belt then it shows you can hit the ground running and then other contracts follow on from that quite well! doing contracting also got me lots of "real world" experience at multiple different places like law firms, accounting etc!!

I am now doing 1/2/3 line Server/Desktop support with network support mixed in every now and then! Due to the complexity of some of the networks we support i decided to be the only employee to go and study Cisco to be the main 'go to' guy for network issues and so far it is paying off slowly but feels like i am starting from scratch again which is quite frustrating but i know it WILL pay off over time!!

I am not saying the way i done it all was the best way to do it or the worst but hope my experience can help someone else decide what they want to do in the future and hopefully help people like yourself who are a bit down about their choices in life!

Iv'e just read that back and its way too heavy for a friday!!!! ITS THE WEEKEND!!!!! :-)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)