Loosing my job on Saturday 22nd December 2007

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by wizard, Dec 17, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas, I've just been told I'm loosing my job on Saturday.

Can you all take a look at my CV and see what needs polishing up on it for the new year.

Attached Files:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm sorry to hear that, wiz. This is an especially lousy (but all too common) time of year to be out of work. Condolences.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear this Wizard. It just plain old sucks. It's bad enough any time of year, but at Christmas time, I just don't know how to express that. I just can't believe employers are really cold enough to do it people, but they certainly are. I think a few of them ought to be gotten rid of on basically Christmas Eve too, just on general principles so they'll know exactly what they have put people through.

The French wines, they oughta be shot.... :twisted:

As for your resume, well, it would be a good thing to get rid of the negative inference about your own hobby. If they don't know what geocaching is, let them ask. Don't tell them it's a strange one.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that, Wiz. They certainly didn't give you much notice, did they? :( I'll do my best to look at your CV when I can give it the attention it deserves.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Sorry to hear that mate.

I'm sure others will be able to provide better advice regarding updating your CV, never one of my strong points.

Try and enjoy yourself over the holiday season and be positive on starting the new year with a fresh new challenge.

Best of Luck

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that Wiz, but hey, you may land your a better job and never look back.

I agree with ffreeloader, parts of the CV seem a little casual, such as describing the interests, maybe keep it a little more direct in that part. Something else I found a little strange, in the qualifications and training section, you've wrote "Access 97". Im sure you can use Word and Excel etc too? Why not stick down "Office Package" instead? Not many employers in IT support would care about *just* Access 97.

The general CV looks pretty good to me, clean, clear and easy to read, good job on the whole :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Okay I've done a little tweaking. I have turned on tracking changes on the CV, so if you are reading it through word, you can see what changes I've made if you use the "Final Showing Markup View"

Oops just noticed something else. Put up another attachment to replace it. :oops:

Attached Files:

8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Looks good to me mate, best of luck with the job hunt, im sure you'll be fine :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hey Wiz

If you'd like, I could take a moment to proofread the CV. I've worked in publishing for a long while and proofreading is part of my everyday job. Please don't take that as me being demeaning about your CV, I just noticed some sentences that probably could be phrased a little better in terms of making it a bit stronger gramatically.

Let me know if you'd like me to and I should be able to take a moment today to go through it.

Cheers

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Good luck - everything that happens tends to happen for a reason - the exciting (and also very frustrating)part is finding out what the reason is!! Chin up, and no doubt there will be some nice opportunities in the new year!! x

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Ironically that's one of the things I want to get into is proofreading as an additional income.

Yes please take a look through it.

12. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Alright, no worries, just get this job I'm on out of the way and I'll take a look through

13. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hello mate

Right, I've taken a look through, and amended some areas, which I'll highlight here. I have altered one or two sentences, but it is obviously entirely up to you whether you want to keep them that way, the last thing I want to do is put words into your mouth.

- I reworded your bullet lists slightly. Under Skills, I changed all the tenses to reflect the past tense, as you had a mixture of past and current. It emphasises that these are things you HAVE done, rather than what you intend to do. I also changed your first bullet, as I felt that 'getting on with colleagues' just wasn't a strong statement, but stating you are a team-player with the ability to work solo has a bit more impact. I also changed the statement about operating to the best of your ability. That sentence is a little bit self-negating, as in a way, you are basically saying 'I am doing my best', which employers don't want to hear, they want to know that you ARE the best and that is what they will get out of you.

- I did the same with tenses under you job description bit, to keep everything conistent.

- I added and removed things like commas, apostrophes and capital letters here and there, again just to make it stronger gramatically.

Whilst looking through it, I did have one or two queries which may be worth looking at:

- The section that mentions your jobs with Pertemps Cream and Balfour Beatty, it is not immediately obvious that the job description you give for Data Entry Clerk and IT Support under it actually relates to those jobs. It may be worth putting the job description first, then the companies where you held this position

- I see that yuo have listed your jobs chronologically, which is fine. However, do you think it might be worth segmenting you emnployment into two categories of permanent work and contract work? Again, it makes it easier for a prospective employer to see more easily where you had spent time with agencies and with permanent employment.

- Under qualifications, you Effective Communication. Is that a stand alone qulification, or is that part of the City and Guilds. I genuinley don't know about this side of things so it could all be good.

Anyhow, I hope some of that may come as some use to you, if not then no dramas mate.

Cheers

Attached Files:

• CV.doc
      File size:
      47.5 KB
      Views:
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unlucky mate, best to look onwards and upwards though for the new year! :biggrin

Ive skimmed over your CV (I see many CVs at work) and there is a few things I would highlight.

“Setting up and troubleshooting networks” - Slighly vague this! Was it a small LAN or a multi site WAN?

“problems that could not be solved by a call was logged online to our contracted support services company to send an engineer out to fix such problems.” – Could this not be changed to “problems were escalated as required?”

“Installing and configuring 95, 98 and XP platforms” – How many? Any other apps here such as AV?

“Currently studying for the Comptia A+ Certification” - Loads of people put this on their CV. Pass the A+! It will read much better that way.

All in the CV reads well though. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Cockles,

The MCS Data Entry/IT Support relates to the Balfour Beatty job.

16. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Is a thank you in order mate? I've sat here for days and watched this thread and people try to help, and you dont even seem to be appreciative of the time Cockles among others have put into trying to helping you on this.

17. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Ok, but my point was that it wasn't immediately obvious in the way it was laid out

18. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Ta mate :thumbleft

19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I've removed the bold from that bit so now it reads properly.

20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hang on get off your high horse please, all in good time. I haven't been sitting on my arse all day here.

I only posted this up on Monday so basically days haven't gone passed.