Looking to replace my batches...

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by OceanPacific, Mar 20, 2008.

1. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Im looking to replace my batches. My company has a TON of batches we use for network deployment of software. They were all created by a guy who worked here before me but he left about a year ago. Since then they have become outdated and many of them no longer work.

I could simply go in and change them and make them workable, but it would be very time consuming and I would rather just create something else better and scrap the batches completely.

I was wondering if I could create something similar in Python? Something to do network deployment of software. If not python, is there a more sophisticated way to deploy software over the network than using a .bat file?

Your opinions and thoughts are appreciated.

WIP: N+, A+
  2. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Group policy? maybe also create custom msi's with the SDK

Microsoft Systems Manager (if i remember it can deploy software)?

3. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Im not the network administrator so I dont have access to group policy or our servers, so that is not an option.

Basically what im saying is, is there a language or program (freeware) that will allow me to create more sophisticated scripts?

4. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Could write Vbscript? I only use vbscripts (.vbs), but my collegae uses .bat

5. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Dont I have to buy visual basic to write vbscript?

6. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

nah, you can you write it in notepad. Although probably a more experienced tech will come in and give you a better option.

I know at my place there are some batch files for installing Business Objects XI still floating about.

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you aren't the administrator I would have thought that many deployment scripts would fail...

Depends on the OSs of course.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Its kind of complicated, im not the administrator, though I do have administrative rights. Im just not the one that makes decisions like that.

Its kind of "mickey mouse" but the batches we have are just basically call commands that start the installation process. Is there anyway I could write these with python?

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You could, but I don't see why you need to complicate things. Unless of course, you are fluent in Python. Why not use the built-in scripting language?

There seems to be no end of software deployment packages. I also found this free doc. (But I have no idea if it is any good!)

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Well im learning python. I guess I just wanted to get away from using batch files, but maybe batch is the best way to go about it.

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Good luck with that.

Seems that all my life I've been looking to change one batch or another, but I can't seem to get shot of her...

...I'll get me coat...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

In America its pronounced Baaaatches.