Looking to get out of dead end job path

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by Seth Parker, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Seth Parker

Seth Parker New Member

I've been working in Call centers for the last 10 yrs and am tired of it. I want to get into the IT field.

I was netware CNA certified back in the early 2000's. I did a few jobs on a temporary basis back then but nothing I can put on a resume. I have no formal IT training at all. Most of my knowledge is learned by doing for myself and friends and family. I have built and repaired many computers both mine and friends and family. Again no formal training in any of this.

I am not sure what route to take. I was looking at the MTA certifications

Windows Operating System Fundamentals 98-349

Windows Server Administration Fundamentals 98-365

Networking Fundamentals 98-366

Security Fundamentals 98-367

I thought I could get those then move on to MCSA 70-680 and 70-685. I am not sure if an A+ certification would be also good to have? Well after some research I see the best route to go at this time would be A+ and Network+.

I saw this Boot Camp class which is being offered very close to my house. I thought I would sign up for it. I learn better in an instructor led scenario rather then self learning. I will do all the free A+ videos out there before attending the class.

TrainingCamp is the site I saw the Boot Camp on. Since I am new here the site won't allow me to post a link. Go Figure.

Now I have no preset knowledge about the IT field. I am looking for an entry level position. Again my experience is all personal nothing formal.

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hey seth

I cant give much advice but the MTA certs are really good for getting foundation knowledge. The 98-349 is being retired next month so get it fast (I just got it) its passable in a week or two. Its up to you how you want to approach your studies, depends how confident you feel in areas of IT. If you feel like you lack foundation knowledge go for the MTAs. Remember though certs are there to prove your existing knowledge.. I personally wouldnt touch anything like MCSA without having industry knowledge.

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

First of all welcome to the forum.

Secondly I would like to point you in the direction of my thread here - http://www.certforums.com/threads/entry-level-it-certifications-and-beyond.49085/, this gives a break down of entry level certifications and beyond.

Next I would like to suggest leaving the MCSA for the moment, grab the A+ \ N+ exams, get some enterprise experience under your belt and then start to look at the more advanced certifications, the reason I suggest this is that ideally the advanced exams are there to prove your experiences and not as a way of getting them. Ideally you should have 12+ months exposure to the technology before attempting the exam (I am talking MCSA\MCSE\CCNA etc at this stage).

As far as training is concerned I have this to offer: In a boot camp environment you have a pre-determined amount of time to get that information in, it's tighter on a bootcamp than a normally run course because they try to condense it all. I would also suggest that boot camps are more ideally aimed at individuals with said previous experience than those just starting out with the technology (having been on boot camps with people who really didn't understand the technology it wasn't not just their time but also those of us there who needed the top up because either the instructor is spending all his time trying to explain to those who don't understand or those that do spend half their time trying to help those that don't, which causes more grief than you would believe (having been there and done that).

As far as getting in to IT, you would ideally be looking for a 1st line service desk role and moving up from there to 2nd line dealing with Desktops \ Servers, it takes time but it can be a very rewarding career.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    JxBx and Juelz like this.