looking to get mobile broadband, any advice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zet, Feb 7, 2011.

1. zet

zet Byte Poster

Hey guys,

Okay, as I'm going to be moving shortly I was looking into a mobile broadband connection. I've looked at a few providers but I'm confused as to how it all works. For example, one provider allows 2GB download and the most expensive package allows 5GB - is this per month or per day?

Anyone with a package could you please chime in :P

Thanks in advance!

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Going by the mobile packages i have seen here in Australia, that limit would be for a month.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

It'll be per month, orange used to do one for 10gb a month i think, but that was best part of £30

I'd really advise against it if your a heavy user, and get a broadband line put in, quite useful if your out and about and only need emails or basic web browsing. but anything else they're pretty pointless for.

Oh, research mast locations in your area if you do sign up to make sure you've got a decent chance of a signal, otherwise they'll tie you into a contract if you go past a week or so - http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I'm pretty sure that map hasn't been updated in years. The mobile operators don't like disclosing the location of their masts if they can help it.

I'd avoid mobile broadband unless no other option is available or you're in an area that get's a very good HSDPA signal.

If you're out of range for broadband, satellite is becoming an increasingly realistic option.

ADSL/Cable will be the best value/speed if you can get it.

5. zet

zet Byte Poster

I can get ADSL in the area I will be living in. But as I won't be a heavy user I was considering mobile internet. I'll be using it from around 5pm to do some browsing/email/instant messaging and perhaps streaming something on youtube. And the other thing is it takes 3 weeks to get a fixed line setup as I have no telephone line.

6. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Depending on what is/isn't enabled in your exchange, you should be able to get ADSL broadband for between £5-£10/month or even free.

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Depends if the op wants a fixed line or not you've got to add on the monthly rental costs to that £5-10, I would not have one if it wasn't for broadband, hardly ever use my landline!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. zet

zet Byte Poster

Yeah I'm opting for mobile because I don't really want to wait 3 weeks for line activation. I'll only be there 5 days a week and then travel home on a Friday evening. Hmm, I'll try '3 network' as it has 15gb a month.

9. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Do you happen to have a smartphone? If you're using it infrequently, and have a decent data plan, you can just tether your phone to your PC.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

True, expensive no? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

It is voluntary information from the networks - but it's very rare you see a mast taken down nowadays

either way if you call a mobile operator and give them your postcode, they'll be able to tell you the nearest BTS sites in the area for your signal. If they can get a possible sale out of it, they'll tell you the locations

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  12. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Depends entirely on your plan, your phone and your carrier. My BlackBerry plan on T-Mobile includes 'unlimited' (1GB) data a month which works fine when you tether. However, I know that if you misconfigure o2 when setting up tethering, you get billed by the mb.

The iPhone requires a special tethering option and subscription but, by default, if you jailbreak it this option is enabled. Apple implement it really well too, once you click the button, it identifies itself to the PC as a generic 10/100 ethernet NIC so there are no drivers to be installed.

13. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Could elaborate on that please ? I tethered just a few weeks ago for the first time actually...guess I better check my bill now :D

14. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

It's to do with the APN you use, I think it's mainly a BlackBerry issue. O2 use a different APN for BlackBerry internet and normal mobile internet. I know someone who racked up bill in the hundreds of £ range on UberTwitter because it defaulted to the non-blackberry APN.

Follow a guide specifically for your phone/dataplan. There's bound to be one online somewhere....