Looking to get a job in IT but dont know where to start!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by transformer2010, Aug 28, 2010.

1. transformer2010

transformer2010 Bit Poster

Hi everybody hows it going?? good I hope...

Im new to the forum and I really want to try and get a job in I.T.
    A few years ago I did a degree in Leisure Management, but after 5 years working in the leisure industry with lack of prospect :cry: im looking into changing my career. Ive been interested in computers for ages but do not know where to start!! :rolleyes:

I dont really want to go back to uni as im 30 and already have a student loan to pay off, is there any way I can get a good job in IT without a computer degree? :(

Ive always had an interest in repair etc and have been looking at doing the COMPTIA A+ award or The National BTEC Award in Computer Engineering by Kandu education centre. Which is the best one to do? or are there other courses I could do like MCSE or MCSA that would be more beneficial?

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated! im lost iin this big bad world and need a little direction! cheers :)

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

compTIA A+,Network+ and MCDST are the certs to start with.

The MCSA and MCSE are certs designed for people with job experience in those relevant areas. So having those certs would do you more harm than good. THe MCSA requires you to have had at least 6 months as a network admin and the MCSE require you to have atleast 12 months as a systems engineer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Yes but please be prepared to take a drop in salary, especially at your age. You have to understand that coming into IT you stand a good chance of having to start at the bottom again, not so hard at 21 - 22 but at 30 that can hit you in the pocket quite hard.

As far as certs go, I would definitely look into the A+ and N+ certs as well as the MCDST, these will give you a good understanding of the hardware and software that you're likely to encounter in a new role in IT.

I would also try and decide what kind of work you want to do, is it 1st\2nd line or field service kind of work?

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

I was in the Hotel industry for 15 years!! Moved into I.T 3 years ago with no qualifications when a company gave me a chance. I applied for lots of low level jobs until I finally got my break. I struggled on the wage but eventually it paid off. If you want it bad enough, then go for it and good luck..

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  5. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

jobsite, reed, jobserve???

Seriously, just get a cv written up, concentrating on your customer service skills with a bit in there about your interest and knowledge of computers and you can get an entry level job, but like simon said, be prepared for a BIG drop in salary, helpdesk isnt very well paid and i presume that at your age yo have progressed some in the leisure industry, dont be be suprised when the jobs that your applying for are offering 15k salaries because that is the bottom rung in IT and thats where you'll have to start, good thing about IT though is that after a year of helpdesk you can look for something else, after a year or 2 of the next job you can look for something else, so the chances of getting on and improving your salary are quite good, as long as you apply yourself and keep improving, keep looking for the next step up.

GL though, i know i wouldnt want to be in the same position but others have shown that it can be done!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. transformer2010

Hi everyone, thank u all.for ur posts, they have been very helpful. I'm only earning about 15k a year in leisure so a drop in salary is not a worry! I'm going to look at the comptia a+ or the btec national diploma in computer engineering.
    Does anybody know of any good training providers that I could study this at home, it would be hard 4 me to attend college due to my shift pattern.

Thanks

8. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

All the training you'd ever need is right here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Cer...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283079112&sr=8-1

£21.64 as well, so will be a lot cheaper than a training provider. You also have extra practice you can buy quite cheaply and anything you don't understand, you can google or ask.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  9. transformer2010

So basically I could buy the comptia book and book myself in for an exam without paying a training provider?

10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Yep.

Get the book mentioned above and perhaps watch the Professor Messer free videos. Then when you feel ready, book the exam at your nearest testing centre.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. transformer2010

If I successfuly complete the comptia a+ and network + what sort of jobs could apply for?

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The same jobs you can apply for right this minute: entry-level jobs, including, but not limited to, help desk tech, field service tech, PC repair tech, first line tech, and sometimes, desktop administrator.

Certifications don't usually make you qualified for a job... they simply make you look more attractive to employers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!