Looking to do CIW course from home

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Nick_G, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Nick_G

Nick_G Bit Poster

Hi all.

I've been looking around the forums and have decided that I will go on the CIW route. I already have an HNC in Multimedia and this is kind of a logical extension to this.

I have had a look on Amazon and I see that there are books available for CIW Foundation/Design/E-Commerce exams. However, I have heard people mention that you have to do the v5 of the course. Are these books available via booksellers?

Also, I have a Mac with Macromedia Studio MX installed. These versions are from 2002. Will I have to upgrade the software to do the course?

Many thanks for any help.

Nick.

2. Nick_G

Nick_G Bit Poster

Bump.

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Whilst I'm not familliar with the CIW course, I'd say that the version of the software that you have will suffice.

There have not been that many changes in the newer versions, so using MX should be ok.

See if the FAQ's help to answer your question.

8)

4. Nick_G

Nick_G Bit Poster

Hi Simon.

That is reassuring, as the CIW web page mentions that v5 of the courseware is the best.

However, if there haven't been much changes then I shall continue with my old MX versions. I will be doing this on a Mac, will this make a difference?

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

web design principles should be the same regardless of the platform they are being designed on.

One thing to note though is that despite there being a standard HTML sometimes displays differently on different browsers, so make sure that you use different ones to test it out.

8)

6. geofftaylor

geofftaylor Bit Poster

Dear Nick

In case it might help, there's an official CIW Foundations v5 self-study pack available for 99.00 US dollars. I'm planning to get it. Follow the link on the homepage at http://www.ciwcertified.com/
    Quote: "CIW v5 Foundations self-study courseware - Now available from ComputerPREP, the exclusive developer of Official CIW Curriculum. It's the ONLY self-study curriculum on the market for CIW v5 Foundations."

Certifications: BA Fine Arts, Dip TEFLA, MEd
    WIP: considering CIW