looking to break into IT - need help! -thx

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by the_beast, Sep 26, 2007.

1. the_beast

the_beast Bit Poster

hello everyone. i am looking to break into a career in IT. To do this i am looking to do a MCSE in database. However i need some further advice. I have been told that MCSE is a 'dead end' career. I am a recent graduate in economics and i want a career change.

what are the future earning potentials?
    is the MCSE in demand by the big consultancy firms such as CAPgemini, accenture etc?
    which is the best training vendor - i am interested in advent?
    I am looking to study full time - how fast will i be able to complete the course?
    Is the course technical?
    if i do the MCSE database can my skills be applied to other applications such as ITIL and Prince II?

thank you very much

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome.

Not sure why MSCE is a dead end career or whoever told you that is talking crap in my opinion.
    Secondly if you look at older threads around here you'll see a lot of posts about how good or bad they are advent is mentioned a lot.

Why don't you self study and save yourself a lot of money

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

There is no MCSE database certification. The MCSE focuses on the the Windows Server platform. If you are interested in working in Microsoft databases look into the MCDBA or the MCTS exam that focus on MS SQL.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  4. greenbrucelee

Yep sorry slightly mis-read the post ajs1976 is correct the MSCE is for people wishing to become Microsoft certified system engineers, its the MCDBA that you want.

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Keep in mind that for something like MCDBA you need experience too. So a good way would be to start with something simple to get yourself a good base. Then you can specialize in what you want to do.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. the_beast

the_beast Bit Poster

sorry your right it is the MCDA. the training includes

fundamentals of IT
    A+ hardware and operating systems
    windows 2003 server exam -----------------------after completing this the guy said i would be employable. and they will help me look for a job - he said i could potentially earn 18k (which i think is a load of crap!)

windows 2003 network infrastructure exams
    installing, configuring and administering microsoft SQL server 2000 enterprise edition
    designing and implementing databases with microsoft SQL server 2000 enterprise edition

after this course i will be comp TIA A+ certified/MCP certified and MCDBA certified.

he said the whole course can take up to a year. but i have no job, no family commitments and i am looking to do this quickly (if this is the right course.)

the course costs 4450. if i can get a job then this is not an issue because i have no family costs so i can pay it off quickly.

7. greenbrucelee

Why not self study, I would never pay £4450 for any course, just because you have qualifications and certs does not mean you'll get a job. I know this better than a lot of people, I lef uni in 1999 with a HND in Business Computing and am still looking for the first proper IT job (bear in mind I havent looked for about three years due to other circumstances). Experience is what matters not certs and qualifications.

8. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

I'm not a DBA myself, but why are the classes in SQL 2000 and not SQL 2005 which is the current version and has been out for a while?

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self-study... you don't need a course.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

crime doesn't pay mate, try getting a job like the rest of us :p

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Whats wrong with economics ? Theres many jobs with a computing bent that a good backround in maths and finance will help.

The MCSA/MCSE is for SysAdmins in general, I'm not sure if this is your goal or not. It sounds like you want to be a DBA ?

Consultancy firms need some SysAdmins, DBAs and Infrastructure architects, however you'd be unlikely to land any of these just with a cert, you'd have to work your way up from junior system engineer or something similar in general. If you have really good grades sometimes the consultancies fast track people, trouble is they end up charging out unexperienced grads at exorbitant rates to business....

MCDBA, MCSE, Prince and ITIL all address different aspects of IT, the overlap is limited.
    Databases, Administration of computers/networks, Project Management, Compliance/Support/Quality I would say are the effective areas.

IT *is* technical, thats the whole point get it ? Its like saying 'Do I have to get my hands dirty?' when going for a job as a mechanic...

Theres nothing special about the big consultancies, look on the job boards, salaries around £50K are common for such positions, however you would be unlikely to land one of these jobs from an advent course, they are not really entry level.

If you want something less technical you could consider the business analyst route, however you still need to understand techy stuff as well as have client facing skills to excell.

13. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

Welcome

I think you may need one of these
    /me Hands the_beast a crowbar

personally i wouldent touch advent. i had a consultation there. and it seemed like crap they were talking.

i ended up with another training vendor. i have been studying since march26th and i have 2 MCPs so far ( the client exam and the server exam)

its a hard slog to get them done. but its well worth it in the end. i have just landed a job at capgemini on the met police contract the pays not great but it gets my foot on the ladder.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security