Looking for your view

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by darrenwis, Mar 1, 2009.

1. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Hi,

I am looking to study the MCDST certification soon. I know a bit about the technical side of it but not 100% comfortable with all the registers and binary systems etc. I have not yet taken the A+ and to be honest don't enjoy the technical side that much.

Do i need to know all of the technical side for the MCDST or is it concentrating purely on hands on windows XP installation and troubleshooting within windows. This is the type of activity that i enjoy.

Also are the exams multiple choice like the A+ etc?

Thanks,
    Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

When I changed career to embark into a journey of IT, I looked at what excited me, which wasn't the A+.

I looked into it, but and decided that the MCDST was the right qualification for me to start with, as I prefer the software side of things rather than hardware.

I would recommend that you knowledge of hardware and are able to do basic things such as:

- Replace a CD ROM Drive
    - Replace a Hard Drive
    - Upgrade RAM
    - Connect a Router
    - Plug In Network Cables & Patch
    - Know What A USB, Firewire, Serial, VGA, HDMI etc ports are and how to use them

Due to the cheapness of hardware, our company nearly always replaces items rather than trying to repair anything.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i can pretty much do them all.

I actually have the A+ book here and will do that soemtime aswell.

Can I ask what the structure of the MCDST is?

Thanks,
    Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If you go to the MCDST area on Cert Forums you will see the Exam Objectives, also you can see my Study Guide by clicking on the link at the bottom of my signature.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5