Looking for some guidance.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dazzo, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi guys, I've always wanted a career in IT and have come to a cross roads on how to proceed. Atm im about to start overseeing databases and systems and would like to start getting certified but i do not know how to proceed. I had a meeting with advent but it seems like a bit too much too quickly, i will just list what will be included in the course:
    CompTIA A+
    MCP + MCDST
    MCTS SQL Server 2005
    MCITP database administrator.

Would this be a good route for me to gain knowledge aswell as experience running and maintaining systems and databases or is it a classic case of too much too quickly with little to no experience?

Would there be some fundamental programs you would suggest and where would I get them from?

Sorry for all the questions but im completely confused after this meeting.

Regards

Daz

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  2. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I think most would agree that training providers promise too much too quickly. Advent are no exception.

I would recommend you look at starting out with self studying the ComptIA A+ exam. Some good resources on this thread .

The A+ is an entry level exam, usually training providers recommend exams for people that are not suitable with their level of experience.

How much experience do you have with IT? It's probably worth asking the people you are about to start overseeing the databases and systems for to see what is relevant.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Multi posted

4. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Thanks, My IT experience is minimal which is why im so put off by this pitch from advent promising me all this in little time. Do you yourself work in the industry? I see you have the A+ cert, did you do self study and how has it helped you?

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Metalstar

The geberal starting certs are A+,N+ and MCDST and no further until you have some decent experience and you can do all certs by self study if you have the determination.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I am the IT Manager for a Financial Services firm. I self studied using the Mike Meyers All in One (6th Edition). It's just down to self discipline really.

As much as I could *do* alot of the stuff in the A+ book before I studied, it is very useful to know why/how certain things work. Even if you don't really need to know it to fix a problem. So I definitely think it has helped. I have never had to go job hunting for an IT role so others will let you know if the A+ has helped in that.

I am pretty sure it is almost essential though!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+