1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for some advice :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jabajay, Feb 18, 2009.

1. jabajay

jabajay New Member

Hi all,

My name is Jay and i work as a telecommunications and network engineer for the armed forces. I have a hnc in it and engineering and am currently working with the open university to upgrade my hnc into a degree.

My traing involved alot of computer and network related topics and work including alot of cicso stuff but for which i didn't get many certs. I would consider myself knowledgeable about IT in most aspects but obviously more centered around the Networking side of things.

I would like to aquire some certifications in this feild and was wondering what certs you guys think i should go for and the best way to go about getting them.

I was thinking:

A+
    N+
    S+
    MCSE
    CCNA
    SCNP

I'm not sure how hard these areas would be for me considering my background. What do you guys think?

I really appreciate any help you can give me. cheers guys.

Jay

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Jay, and welcome to CF:), since you're already working in IT as a telecomms and network engineer you'd be best suited to start with CCNA or better still the N+. Best wishes on whichever you decide and where are you located?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. jabajay

jabajay New Member

onoski cheers for the help im currently in and around guildford

4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I went to University there- welcome to the forum :)

5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum!

I'd say A+ would be a waste of money in your case. If you use Cisco gear at work Cisco cert path might be rewarding for you

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would recommend that you certify on whatever you have experience doing, starting with the entry-level certs and working your way up.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!