Looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by andrewriding, Feb 2, 2008.

1. andrewriding

andrewriding New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on my job situation. Wondered if you could help.

I am trying to find a network support role somewhere in the Leeds area. I have plenty of qualifications (MSc in Computing science, CCNA and a Juniper JNCIA-ER) and also a fair amount of experience (5 years in support roles looking after everything from users, printers, servers and a bit of network installation). The problem is, I seem to get to interviews and then I keep getting told the same thing... "ÿou are a nice guy but we want someone with more hands on experience".

In previous jobs I have been involved in the config of Cisco kit - troubleshooting some routers and switches, setting up VLANs etc etc, but my current job (which is a 1st line support role) has no hands on networking at all. I recently arrived back from a year working in Australia and had to take the 1st line job to pay the bills (if you were wondering why I took the step backwards).

I'm finding it a bit frustrating that I have the knowledge, a bit of experience and the desire to learn more (currently self studying for a CCSP) but I can't find anyone to give me a shot to prove I can do it. I've been to about 12 interviews in the last 6-8 months and been down to the final 2 a couple of times but I keep getting the same feedback from interviewers.

Anyone either know of any companies in the Leeds area looking to hire someone in my position, or, failing that, anyone have any ideas how I can get the all important hands on experience that the employers are looking for?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Andrew

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

I haven't lived in Leeds for a few years so I wouldn't know on the jobs front.

Have you thought about hiding some of your certs on your cv when you apply for jobs, as it looks to me like you are too over qualified for your experience level and this is why you are being rejected for jobs that you are applying for.

Once you get more experience you can put the certs back on your cv

Good Luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If thats not experience, then i don't know what *experience* is :blink

I'd say you have just been unlucky mate.. keep doing what you are doing and hopefully your turn will come soon.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

I'm finding it strange how people are finding it so difficult securing IT positions.

My first job was as a Desktop Support Technician (2nd Line) with no experience or qualifications. Just last month, I placed my CV on CWJobs for 3rd Line Support roles and within the week, I had 6 interviews ready for the following week. I was accepted in 3 out of the 6 interviews, 1 being a decline (was a CISCO engineer role, had no experience) and the other 2 turned out to be programmer roles, which I wasn't interested in. This is from someone who has only had 4 years experience in a Desktop Support role, has an A+ and MCDST cert, and I have secured a second position as a Technical Support Technician, supporting everything from routers to back end servers. The other two positions would have been for Technical Analysts, similar role, but a little more end user support. Both of which I do not have the experience or certs for.

One of the main attributes that I was told an IT recruiter looks for is 1) personality, 2) rapport and 3) technical ability, and I must admit, it would explain why from my experience, everyone I know has drifted in to their IT positions, many without prior experience or qualifications, and others who have had shed loads of experience/certs find it so difficult. It makes sense, too. You can always improve your knowledge, but it's difficult to improve the 3 above qualities.

That's one area you can look at, the other is the type of qualifications you have. Many managers I know are put off by people with Masters, for whatever reason that maybe. One manager explained that someone with a Masters has simply put off entering the real world for a few extra years.

You could look at the type of responses you receive from just placing your Bachelors on your CV?

My 2cents!

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

More certifications aren't gonna help you without experience... that'll just make you overcertified, which is NOT a good thing.

If you're not getting experience where you are, the solution is simple: take a lateral shift to a similar-level job where you CAN start getting that hands-on experience. Until you do, you won't convince employers that you can do the job... not even by amassing higher-level certifications.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

From what you have said you do have hands on experience.

Try and talk about the network installation experience and what you did there, I take it you have that listed on your CV? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. andrewriding

andrewriding New Member

Thanks for your advice guys. Will see what I can do with the new info.

Just a quick question to ITMatt - where did you find out about these 6 roles you went for? I have been using the usual job advert boards (Hays, cwjobs, purelyIT etc) and have my CV listed on Monster and a few other places. Is there anything obvious I have missed?

I see you are living in the same sort of area so any ideas would be fantastic.

Cheers - and if anyone has any other words of wisdom to add, please feel free.

Andrew

8. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

Hi Andrew,

I live in Leeds like yourself. I simply posted my CV on the exact same job boards you have, from which I received my first call within a few hours of posting it.

It's advisable that you have your CV checked by a professional, as this will determine whether or not you are even contacted. Your CV is the very first impression they will receive of you, your personality, your attitude and your experience. You will need to justify your qualifications and certifications i.e. the reasons for why you pursued a Masters degree, instead of entering the workforce, the reason you studied for a CCNA, etc. It also helps to explain why you are leaving your current position/why you are applying for the new position.

Once your CV has been improved upon, the next step is the interview proceed. Studies have shown that an interviewer will make his decision of whether or not he would like to hire you within the first 30 seconds of the interview. Any monkey can be trained to work in IT, it's how that monkey fits in with the manager, the group and the company.

IT'S ALL ABOUT SALES AND SELLING YOURSELF!

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  9. burchie

burchie Bit Poster

i have the same problem posted my c.v on the usual job sites and get no responce maybe it matt could show us a copy of his c.v or help is with our own so that we may be able to secure positions in the industry

Certifications: a+ n+
    WIP: mcdst, mcse